Where have the comedy films gone? Page 8

Sherilyn Fenn is lovely but Chip's avatar makes her look like a Downs with the mumps.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ October 1 2008, 2:17 PM BST

Something about the shadow on Sherilyn Fenn's chin in Chip's avatar makes it look like she's eating an entire red apple.

That's a good thing. Haven't you ever heard the rhyme, "An apple a day keeps Tim Walker away..."?

Quote: Griff @ October 1 2008, 2:18 PM BST

Sherilyn Fenn is lovely but Chip's avatar makes her look like a Downs with the mumps.

Actually, she's not that lovely anymore. This pictures from sixteen years ago and she's put on some weight since then.

Quote: chipolata @ October 1 2008, 2:24 PM BST

Actually, she's not that lovely anymore. This pictures from sixteen years ago and she's put on some weight since then.

I think she might be pregnant there.

I'll take her down tomorrow. I don't want to be associated with preggos.

Heh!

What will your next one be?

I am on tent-hooks.

What the hell is going on here? I read through every post and no mention of the best comedy film I've seen this millenium (and a UK production at that):

Death at a Funeral

Far, far better than the shite turned out in the States recently. Knocked Up? Superbad? That one with the ice-skaters? Anything with Jack Black? Really, really poor.

As for A Cock and Bull Story - top class. Borat was also good, even though his best moments came in Da Ali G Show.

Jack Black's been coasting on past glories for a while, but I thought School Of Rock was great.

Quote: Griff @ October 1 2008, 3:24 PM BST

Jack Black's been coasting on past glories for a while, but I thought School Of Rock was great.

Agreed. Although I have hideous feeling they're making a sequel to it soon.

Quote: Griff @ October 1 2008, 3:24 PM BST

I thought it was average. Better than his other crap, though. I just don't find the guy funny. No capacity for subtlety.

Quote: chipolata @ October 1 2008, 3:26 PM BST

Agreed. Although I have hideous feeling they're making a sequel to it soon.

One to avoid. Errr

Quote: Tommy Power @ October 1 2008, 3:28 PM BST

I just don't find the guy funny.

Isn't that the case with a lot of these American comedy actors? Stiller, Carey, Ferrel, etc. Some love them. Others hate them. They tend to polarise.

Quote: chipolata @ October 1 2008, 3:30 PM BST

Isn't that the case with a lot of these American comedy actors? Stiller, Carey, Ferrel, etc. Some love them. Others hate them. They tend to polarise.

Yep, good call. I tend towards the latter category. Pleased

Still, no mention of Death at a Funeral? I thought that was an outstanding film. I metaphorically laughed my head off.

I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of it, but I'll definitely keep a look out for it.

I'll admit I don't even know this film.

OK I just Googled it and it seems to have got a pasting from the critics over here.

Philip French in The Observer called it "feeble". Even the Belfast Telegraph called it "deadly".

No reason to think their opinion is worth any more than anyone else's, but it might explain why nobody in the UK seems to have heard of it - I'm guessing it flopped?

Quote: chipolata @ October 1 2008, 3:35 PM BST

I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of it, but I'll definitely keep a look out for it.

Do, Chip. I went twice. Seeing that film comprised about 50% of my entire cinematic experience last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_at_a_funeral

EDIT:

Wow Griff, it was #1 for ages here. Got 5 stars from the ABC film critics as I remember. Hugely successful in Oz.

Maybe the problem in the UK is that critics are slamming the local productions too readily? I honestly thought it was top notch.

I have a very, VERY vague recollection of it, having seen the poster on Wikipedia. But that could just be my mind tricking me. Other than that, I've never heard of it either. And no, I cannot agree with the critic theory at all.

Think that this says a lot about the convicts' unsophisticated tastes really. ;)