Girls On Top

Is this the least funny British sitcom ever?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcoms/girls_on_top.shtml

Nothing redeeming about the show at all. Poor from start to finish, never more than raising a slight smile. In thirteen episodes over two series', there's enough 'funny' for a ten-minute sketch show episode. At best.

French, Saunders and Wax should be shot for this atrocity. I'm just glad I picked up the DVD for £2 second-hand. I'd be properly f**ked off if I'd paid full price for it.

I'm getting mixed messages - did you like it or not?

Well, I say that after it having grown on me a little.

It should be brilliant, from reading the cast list and synopsis.

I've not seen it. But it's disappointing if it's as terrible as you say.

Yes, it's a fairly simple mismatched-housemates setup which they could have done a lot with. Some of the storylines are ok, but it's like they didn't understand the concept of being funny. There are a few smile moments as I said, but the differents aspects of the characters and construction of the show just doesn't gel. Poor!

There are too many unlikeable characters in it - Tracey Ullman and Ruby Wax for a start. Saunders played a total idiot and Dawn French over-acted as usual.

Did you watch the episode with Alan Rickman in it?

Possibly. It's taken me about sixth months to pluck up the courage to watch series two. Currently half way through it. So it depends which episode he was in exactly!

Four Play

Ah, episode one, so yes, I have. Don't remember him, mind.

pretty much on the spot here, Aaron.

Worth it, if you want to see Dawn French in her... less than obese days ;) Other than that, pretty annoying.

I actually liked it first time around but whether I would now I don't know.

It was very much a girly version of the Young Ones. French and Saunders were quite funny in it, but it was a bit ramshackle.

From memory I'm sure that I did like it at the time but I don't think that it would have dated well.

I remember it, from when I was a little kid. Dawn French's character was sort of a female version of Rik, from The Young Ones, but obviously wasn't half as funny.

Does anyone remember another show, that was on around the same time, called Happy Families, which featured Jennifer saunders, playing about 6 different sisters? Ade Edmonson was also in it.

Yes, it's been on Paramount 2 relatively recently. Surprisingly good, but felt too self-indulgent a lot of the time.

I have recordings, if you're at all interested.