Jonathan Ross Salutes Dad's Army Page 3

I also salute 'Dad's Army'... which makes me feel very uncomfortable indeed now I know what kind of godawful company I'm keeping...

Quote: Griff @ June 20 2008, 12:54 PM BST

His spiel consists entirely of insincerely fawning over his guests, making endless knob and tit gags, and then interrupting his guests anytime they have something interesting to say, to relate some tedious anecdote about himself.

That's why he is so good!

Everyone who goes on his show knows what he's like so get what they deserve.

Quote: Aaron @ August 3 2008, 8:10 PM BST

Well, I thought that that was delightful. A nice tribute to the series. I was expecting a little more of the documentary type bits and a bit less of the games, but it worked well. Very much in the spirit of Dad's Army itself really! Some nice insights into the show too. Liked it. I'll have to keep an eye out for a good deal on McCann's book about the show now. :)

And talking about the show I enjoyed it although there was a lot of repetition from last night.

Quote: Aaron @ August 3 2008, 8:16 PM BST

Although I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing when they introduced the black guy as Colour Sergeant Gregory... Laughing out loud

Black?

I thought he was just tanned.

Facial structure was, err, 'ethnic'.

(And I don't think that Sandhurst gets that much sun.)

Dissapointed !! 30 secs of Clive Dunn, who was one of the main cast, they obviously couldn't afford him!! Shame!!!

To be honest I would think it's more likely that Clive Dunn declined to come over from Portugal on health grounds rather than wanting more money.

Quote: Aaron @ August 3 2008, 8:16 PM BST

Although I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing when they introduced the black guy as Colour Sergeant Gregory... Laughing out loud

It's an actual rank in the army. I used to be an Army Cadet, Cadet Massey, and Colour Seargent is a rank, as it is a rank in the real army. It is the rank that comes after Seargent, they have three stripes and a little badge above the stripes. Colour seargents can also be known as Staff Seargents. I hope you all found that bit of infomation interesting :S

Anyway, a brilliant documentary that brilliantly payed homage to TIMELESS HUMOUR. Superb 'Dad's Army' weekend as a whole. Bloody shame they showed that American version of 'Dad's Army' 'The Rear Guard' again, but at least when they show it, it is always commented on how bad it is. Look at it, it is shocking. Just playing for gags, no good acting. 'Don't Tell him Henderson' Angry

Brilliant documentary, carry on showing the comedy legend BBC.

Quote: Greg @ August 4 2008, 7:36 PM BST

To be honest I would think it's more likely that Clive Dunn declined to come over from Portugal on health grounds rather than wanting more money.

Probably not a good idea at his age. INSURANCE MONEY.

Ross was very enertaining talking about this show on his radio show, and mentioning how many racist jokes by ex cast members had to be cut. A very enjoyable show, though, and hats off to JR for pushing to get it made.

Quote: Greg @ August 4 2008, 7:36 PM BST

Yes I understood why he wasn't their, I didn't expect him to be in the studio, but a bit more time spent via film or a video link etc

Been reading this forum for a while , so im bored and thought I would ask what you mean by racist jokes? those used in the original series ? or on the tribute show? I didn't see the tribute show.

Re-read the post:

Quote: chipolata @ August 5 2008, 10:22 AM BST

Ross was ... mentioning how many racist jokes by ex cast members had to be cut.

And welcome to the site. :)

so he's saying that certain ex cast members are racists, well, he's a c**t and famous for being such.

No, I think he's saying that ex-cast members made jokes which were deemed by Auntie's lawyers to be racist. And we all know what 'racist' actually means these days, don't we? Any mention of anyone but ourselves.

hmmmm.... racism in a post modern context is ok with the bbc, but not if your not ''in'' with the in crowd.

Lots of examples of ''racism'' on a great long list of progs , I could start with little britain , but then , is that really a comedy programme?

Quote: thelegendary stardustcowboy @ August 5 2008, 8:41 PM BST

so he's saying that certain ex cast members are racists, well, he's a c**t and famous for being such.

Lighten Up Mate, they were having a 40th aniversary party and it was all a bit of fun, perfectly acceptable for that generation to be saying racist Jokes, and Jonathon Ross was joining in the fun, no malice what so ever!!

(I am not a fan of his, because of rich people like JR I can't buy a home when I was bought up, and have had to move away from my family!)

That's like me saying that I don't like black people because one of them took the last copy of Hornby Magazine before me.