Jonathan Ross Salutes Dad's Army Page 2

Quote: Griff @ June 20 2008, 1:22 PM BST

Well, me taking my trousers down is the best part of me having a shit but it doesn't make it good TV.

Let me make it clear for you: his opening monologue at the comedy awards is good TV.

Quote: Aaron @ June 20 2008, 1:25 PM BST

Ross is a bit of a dick, especially so when he's doing shows like this one, but unlike Parkinson doesn't really take himself seriously, I don't think.

He doesn't. He knows a lucky bugger.

He's great on the radio, too, and as was said fantastic on the Comedy Awards. So if you only know him from his chat show, maybe he's different.

He also gave early television breaks to Vic and Bob, Charlie Higson and Paul Whitehouse. And his eighties show, The Last Resort, was brilliant. Best British chat show ever.

His BCA spiel is never particularly special. Entertaining and amusing, certainly, but it seems to be getting greatly undeserved bumlove here.

Quote: Aaron @ June 20 2008, 1:30 PM BST

bumlove here.

:O What are your rates?

Does anyone have a strap on I could borrow?

(Aaron?)

I don't want anyone to think I'm saying Ross is some kind of comedian.

I just think he's a very funny presenter.

(I hate when people get those two professions confused, like when Ant and Dec get nominated for best comedy awards.)

I'm sure we can find something.

(Ant and Dec should be gassed.)

Quote: chipolata @ June 20 2008, 1:25 PM BST

Let me make it clear for you: his opening monologue at the comedy awards is good TV.

Only in the mind of someone who thinks that what Naomi Campbell says or does should rate as number one item on the lunchtime news... as ITV evidently does.

It is downmarket, populist crap of the finest water.

'Good', as mentioned before, is a relative term. Those who habitually drink, and have learned to enjoy, pigswill probably do think that sheepswill is 'good'.

So you're literally calling me and other people who have said they find him funny, morons?

Thanks. :)

Johnathan Ross appeared as an extra in an episode of It Ain't Half Hot Mum, but never made an appearance in Dad's Army.

I'm with Zoo.

:)

I love it when people justify what they find funny and not in intellectual terms.

That is real comedy :)

Quote: Griff @ June 20 2008, 12:54 PM BST

His spiel consists entirely of insincerely fawning over his guests, making endless knob and tit gags, and then interrupting his guests anytime they have something interesting to say, to relate some tedious anecdote about himself. He is a disgrace.

That about sums it up.

Well, I thought that that was delightful. A nice tribute to the series. I was expecting a little more of the documentary type bits and a bit less of the games, but it worked well. Very much in the spirit of Dad's Army itself really! Some nice insights into the show too. Liked it. I'll have to keep an eye out for a good deal on McCann's book about the show now. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmMGXOSBCSs

Hard to believe he made this, which was ace.

Although I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing when they introduced the black guy as Colour Sergeant Gregory... Laughing out loud