MeeBox by Adam Buxton Page 3

Quote: Aaron @ June 23 2008, 6:51 PM BST

There's no such thing!

I'll refer you back to Giles Coren before Laura does.

:D

Did you at least enjoy seeing Emma Pierson, Aaron?
Or did you manage to turn over and miss that bit.

Quote: Aaron @ June 23 2008, 6:51 PM BST

God, that was f**king awful.

Made me laugh like a tit that bit.

Nah, I didn't change the channel at all, so I did see her. But I'm not obsessed like Charisma or Ian are.

Ohh, I thought when you said tuned out you meant tuned out. But you just meant tuned out.

Quote: zooo @ June 23 2008, 6:58 PM BST

Ohh, I thought when you said tuned out you meant tuned out. But you just meant tuned out.

Yeah. I meant that it didn't grab my attention.

I really wanted this to be good, because Adam has been going for so long, but, I'm sorry to say, this was poor. If he was in his 20s, you could forgive him, but he's about 40 now, and should really be coming up with stronger stuff.

I disagree.

I enjoyed this a lot. It was visually inventive, and had a nice mix of styles. Could have done without the Spoon video, and the doubling-up of the Crap Things, but the sign language stuff and the drill sequence were a hoot.

Everybody needs more Spoon.

Quote: Aaron @ June 23 2008, 12:39 AM BST

I did also.

It was bad.

One good sketch (sausages song) - but the real highlight was the title sequence.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Aaron, which is a shame because I was hoping for more. Highlights for me were the title sequence, the 'Spoons' video and Ken Korda (making a welcome return). It DOES miss Joe btw. I prefered their insane rabblings on "'Shock Video' (the show with tits in it)".

Oh, and I wanted to see the video, 'A Travellers W@nk' (I think that was the title), but it never came up.

Maybe that'll be saved for the series he's inevitably hopeful for.

Was it actually 'W@nk'?

Quote: Aaron @ June 24 2008, 3:03 PM BST

Maybe that'll be saved for the series he's inevitably hopeful for.

Was it actually 'W@nk'?

Definately... one both counts.

I'm a big fan of the Adam and Joe show and their radio work, so I really wanted to love it, but unfortunately I found it fairly average. The 'famous guy' sections which littered the show weren't very funny - partly because of the dead air (which was odd considering what brilliant comic timing the Adam and Joe Show had) and partly because Adam seemed to lack confidence in his own material. The final part where he's practicing his lines was good, though. Other parts had funny observations; boring, unoriginal talking-head programs, the incomprehensible lyrics in Songs of Praise (although his original YouTube video was a better demonstration) and inane 'top # ____' list programmes etc, but he often spelled the jokes out too much. The best bits were the sign-language bits (although they were a little Boosh-esque), 'BaaadDad's Clichéd Memories of Punk' and the film software tutorial. The Spoon video felt odd and out of place - it smacked of self-indulgence. Armando Iananucci (?) came up with a truism about comedy on the Alan Partridge DVD commentary: it's incredibly hard to make 3/4 minutes of music funny and not boring half way through. The spoon video lacked invention and abandoned any humour aspect (bar funny faces and 'ironic' guitar playing) halfway through (the best wit was the 'wanker' gesture on the fadeout).

Quote: catskillz @ June 23 2008, 7:36 PM BST

I really wanted this to be good, because Adam has been going for so long, but, I'm sorry to say, this was poor. If he was in his 20s, you could forgive him, but he's about 40 now, and should really be coming up with stronger stuff.

There's a fair bit of anecdotal evidence to suggest that the older writers and performers get, the less funny they become. So perhaps Adam peaked back doing Adam and Joe, and now it's just the inevitable decline towards mediocrity and then death.