Sketch Shows

I've recently been interested in finding sketch shows that I may have missed first time round. Does anyone know of any in the last 15 years, good or bad, that are perhaps not that well known. I read about Spoons and Blunder the other day, both of which I missed when they were broadcast and this sparked the interest.

Thanks in advance

Q!

Not British, but have you seen Mr Show?

Avoid Blunder like the plague.

Actually, avoid Blunder and worry about the plague later when you're sure you're well away from Blunder.

Could you narrow it down a bit by listing all the sketch shows you have seen over the last 15 years?

And perhaps you could try Bruiser. It wasn't all that good despite the excellent cast but there was the odd good sketch in it. Oh, and (Un)Natural Acts which was also largely poor but interesting to see where the Mighty Boosh zoo keeper characters came from.

Quote: David Bussell @ June 11 2008, 1:25 PM BST

Not British, but have you seen Mr Show?

Mr. Show with Bob and David is great, so clever too.

The Audition - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ZNX1jqbOk

Pre-taped Call In Show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrlS9_n8GX4

Erm... from what I can recall.

Blunder -- offensively bad. Truly, truly awful. (One good early sketch with David Mitchell and the stupidity of people watching tv but that's it)
That Mitchell & Webb Look -- Very Good. (also That Mitchell & Webb Situation from UKPlay -- I never saw it but you can get DVD)
Spoons -- I thought it was good. Not to everybody's taste.
Swinging (channel five) -- Really good, but others don't agree with me. (2 series)
Man Stroke Woman -- BBC3 (and later BBC2) Best of the modern sketch shows, in my opinion. Two series so far.
Big Train -- BBC2. Most surreal of the recent sketch shows. Very hit and miss, I thought.
The Sketch Show (or something) on ITV. Lee Mack, the bald bloke who does the comedy with the cello, some others. Didn't see much of it, but thought it was pretty mainstream.
Bruiser -- UKPlay (as was). Haven't seen much of it, but what I've seen was funny.
The Peter Serafinowicz Show -- BBC2. Quite good really.
Smack The Pony -- C4. A lot of people liked it. Three series.

I'm sure I've missed a load that people will fill in.

Dan

I'd suggest The Armstrong & Miller Show if you haven't seen it, but it was on recently so you might have done. Very good, and underrated in my opinion.

Try French and Saunders. :D :D

Love em. <3

Quote: NickTheDon @ June 11 2008, 4:37 PM BST

I'd suggest The Armstrong & Miller Show if you haven't seen it, but it was on recently so you might have done. Very good, and underrated in my opinion.

I preferred their C4 show of the same name. "CHUFFY!!"

I agree about Man Stroke Woman although I can't see there being anymore series. :( But Big Train & Smack The Pony are my favs of the one mentioned.

@swerytd You forgot 'The Fast Show' Laughing out loud

That Mitchell and Webb Look, first series excellent, second not so much.
Swinging/Man Stroke Woman, I recall both of these as a relentless succession of quick gags, that became rather wearying.
Big Train, the surrealism often seem to take the place of properly developed ideas.
The Sketch Show, mainstream, certainly, but included some cracking sketches.
Peter Serafinowicz Show, beyond bad.
Smack the Pony, by women for women.

I thought Smack the Pony was ace.

But then, I am a woman - I did think it would have had wider appeal though...?

Quote: Timbo @ June 24 2008, 3:29 PM BST

Smack the Pony, by women for women.

I don't think so :P Speaking as a man.

Smack The Pony was pretty good I thought; and Im a man. I have a cock and everything. A bit narrow minded to say 'By Women, For Women'.

Have you seen Snuffbox? A bit too crude in places for my liking but very watchable. Besides others mentioned A Bit of Fry and Laurie is well worth a look!

Quote: The Cool Mikado @ June 24 2008, 6:10 PM BST

Have you seen Snuffbox? A bit too crude in places for my liking but very watchable. Besides others mentioned A Bit of Fry and Laurie is well worth a look!

Snuffbox was good, though it seemed they really only came up with enough good ideas for two episodes, so sprinkled them across the six and padded it out a bit. I still liked it though.

"By women, for women" doesn't necessarily mean that men wouldn't enjoy it. I like Goodness Gracious Me, for example, which was quite clearly not aimed at a middle-class-with-aspirations-of-upper white boy.