Kevin Eldon Page 2

Quote: Seefacts @ June 3 2008, 12:53 PM BST

He's brilliant on the Big Train commentaries.

So funny and quick.

Ive been off work sick and ive just sat on my couch watching the Big Train commentaries, almost as funny as the show itself!

Can anyone give me any other examples of great DVD commentaries, from T.V. series' or films? My favourite is probably on the Goonies DVD. I remember the guy who played Chunk, saying he used to do the "Truffle Shuffle" for the crowd, when he'd go to watch his College's Football games, when he was in his late teens and early twenties. Oh, and he said he's now a lawyer.

Quote: catskillz @ June 3 2008, 8:01 PM BST

Can anyone give me any other examples of great DVD commentaries, from T.V. series' or films? My favourite is probably on the Goonies DVD. I remember the guy who played Chunk, saying he used to do the "Truffle Shuffle" for the crowd, when he'd go to watch his College's Football games, when he was in his late teens and early twenties. Oh, and he said he's now a lawyer.

Anything involving Simon Pegg is always a cert.

The Big Train ones are ace thanks to Eldon and Pegg.

Inbetweeners is good - the episodes with the cast are a fun listen, all the four guys really get on and the banter is ace.

Simpsons - depending on who's the showrunner.

I like the way that Eldon acts like a mischevious child on the Big Train commentary.

I've only got one series of The Simpsons on DVD, but some of the commentaries are very good. However, sometimes they'll go completely off topic and discuss what they used to eat for lunch whilst making The Simpsons.

Was it a bowl full of money? The greedy bastards!

Quote: Winterlight @ June 4 2008, 12:16 AM BST

I like the way that Eldon acts like a mischevious child on the Big Train commentary.

I've only got one series of The Simpsons on DVD, but some of the commentaries are very good. However, sometimes they'll go completely off topic and discuss what they used to eat for lunch whilst making The Simpsons.

My favourite moment is (for some reason) they get talking about a child actor growing up to be a gay Ross Kemp and just as it dies down Eldon chips in with 'EastBenders!' out of nowhere. That and his EastEnders impression 'I ain't talking to no one til I've seen my brief!'.

The Simpsons ones get really interesting though, and you can see which bits come from which writer.

Oh, oh and Partridge too. Iannucci gives good value and him with Coogan and Baynham is a good listen. You learn how the show was written and how their humour is structured.

They also have a in character commentary on the Partridge DVD.

Quote: Leevil @ June 4 2008, 12:25 AM BST

They also have a in character commentary on the Partridge DVD.

I always avoid those.

Never knew there were others. But I love Partridge so sat through the one of the first series. It's not very good though, just him grunting n stuff.

As mentioned on another thread, the Garth Marenghi's Darkplace commentary is very funny. They are in character as the actors that played the actors - i.e. Todd Rivers, Garth Marenghi and Dean Learner.

At one point Todd Rivers is talking about dating a younger woman and how they can be immature. He says...

"My young girlfriend was angry at me and took out her anger by pouring hot coffee on me. But I didn't get angry... I simply got dressed... grabbed the car keys... and went on holiday for two weeks. Since I've been back she's been much better."

Typical Todd Rivers delivery, made it hilarious.

I think Kevin Eldon is one of the greatest comedy actors in Britain. Living in Australia it's been hard getting copies of some of the works he's been in. Have never seen Jam but have loved Kevin in Brass Eye, Big Train & I'm Alan Partridge. Hyperdrive was very disappointing, but that's not Kevin's fault.

Jam is a very dark sketch show. Actually started out on the radio as Blue Jam. There are probably clips from Jam on YouTube. Infact I know there are cos I added one to my favs on there. It was Kevin Eldon describing how he took his car to the garage and they shrunk it.

"F**king Noddy?!"

I liked him in Nighty Night. He was essentially the only likeable character in the whole piece. That said, some talent is better suited to smaller supporting roles. There's no shame in that, and I think this is where he really shines.

Well he just so happens to be amazing in supporting roles but that is all he has ever had.

I reckon with the right script he would be just as good as a leading character.