Death of the sitcom Page 2

Quote: David Chapman @ May 11 2008, 9:22 PM BST

Traditional - Gavin & Stacey, Benidorm

What the hell are you on about now, Chapman? Father Ted and The IT Crowd are infinitely more 'traditional' than those two.

Quote: David Chapman @ May 11 2008, 9:37 PM BST

Should bloody hope not with spelling like that.

Sorry, chose and college.

This is media not english language by the way. Focuses more on the practical side.

Anyway.

Are you guys all in the same class?

Leave the new boys alone, David!

Quote: zooo @ May 11 2008, 9:53 PM BST

Leave the new boys alone, David!

I thought I'd get in before Aaron - so to speak.

Quote: Aaron @ May 11 2008, 9:53 PM BST

Anyway.

Are you guys all in the same class?

Nah, half the country is doing this exact exam. :)

Mine is 2hrs on Tuesday and 1hr on Wed. Not looking forward to it, although i did get an A in my coursework.

We have 4 questions, question 3 we have to pitch our own sitcom and in the final one we have to storyboard a 30 second trailer. :)

We go into the exam with no notes, we have to answer all 4 question from memory. Teary
Which is why now i'm trying to learn as much as possible.

That sounds so much fun.

I want to be 16 again. :(

When I did my Media Studies GCSE, we certainly didn't know the questions beforehand!

Anyway. Development of the sitcom. Currently two competing fields; realistic 'single-camera' stuff (The Thick of It, The Office, Peep Show, etc.), and the more traditional format. Recent xamples of the latter include After You've Gone, Not Going Out, and of course My Family.

The former of the two types has been extremely popular over the past few years, almost entirely due to The Office, but the more 'traditional', filmed-in-a-studio-in-front-of-a-live-audience shows have always been far more popular, more sellable overseas, have greater longevity, and so are what channels and production companies are actively looking to make right now. They're making a proper fightback against the recent crop.

I think, in the short term, we'll see a blend of the two, but ultimately, the traditional style will win out.

Probably.

Same exam as me...u doing higher or foundation? Dead scared about it, one week to go and havent planed at all Errr

Quote: zooo @ May 11 2008, 9:57 PM BST

That sounds so much fun.

I want to be 16 again. :(

Photos needed.

I finihsed my exam today, and well i think i did ok! :/
The death fo the sitocm bit, i just ended up wrting about hybrids!

Not the Prius, I assume?

Australia stopped making sitcoms quite some time ago... which kills the chance of resurecting shows England refused to pay to keep on. A tradition we had in the 70s and 80s.

It's rather sad... and not entirely true, Summer Heights High was pretty funny, and a I suppose could be classed as a sitcom. but making one at a time still isn't enough, and it was the first in about 20 years.

Damned reality TV ruined everything.

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ May 19 2008, 6:42 AM BST

Australia stopped making sitcoms quite some time ago... which kills the chance of resurecting shows England refused to pay to keep on. A tradition we had in the 70s and 80s.

It's rather sad... and not entirely true, Summer Heights High was pretty funny, and a I suppose could be classed as a sitcom. but making one at a time still isn't enough, and it was the first in about 20 years.

Damned reality TV ruined everything.

What was Kath and Kim then - a documentary? Whistling nnocently

Well it certainly wasn't a sitcom.