Bump

Are there any rules on bumping, putting a post to make sure it goes to the top. Its just its annoying on the critique forum as its forcing people to comment. Personally I read all the thread, I have alot of time on my hands. It doesn't mean i'm going to comment. I only comment when I have something constructive to say. Also the people who bump tend to take most offence to criticism.

PS Feel free to bump this thread as I am a hypocrite.

I bumped my Sitcom script in the Critique thread earlier, I didnt think it was against the forum rules. The only reason I did it was because it only had one crit and was disappearing off of the board, and since I bumped it its had a lot more, so I would say its okay to maybe bump a thread once or twice.

Yeah but Martin what about the other scripts which don't get bumped. You should let the people on the forum decide whether to comment and not bump it until they do because you're forcing comment. You can't justify because more people commented. They probably did to make sure you wouldn't bump it again. I've had scripts with no comment but i didn't feel the need to bump it, I just came up with something new. Otherwise if everyone bumped then it would be chaos

I know i'm being anal but everyone should have a fair go, shouldn't they?

it's not a huge problem, if you post something on the critique part of the site and you need constuctive tips and advice and it fails to get this then bumping it is o.k., sometimes scripts arn't read because people are involved in other threads and miss the thread, so bumping it up is fine as long as it dosn't get out of hannd.

I think it's fair enough as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

I think people are mature enough not to abuse, but a polite 'Would anybody mind commenting please?' rather than just 'Bump!' (which is a bit curt and not endearing you to anyone) will go down better.

I don't have time to read/critique every post much as I'd like to and people *are* on here for feedback. Sometimes it's difficult to have the guts to post your own work, and it's quite disheartening when no-one responds. If that happens people will think the forum as difficult to impress as the production companies we're trying to write for! This is especially so for a sitcom script -- you're being let in to see something that someone has worked on for a good portion of time and has an emotional investment in. To show people for them to rip apart is a big thing. At the same time, the writer needs to realise that people need to invest a great deal of time reading it and then providing specific feedback. It's not easy itself and it's not like we get paid for it so it's our own time where we could be writing. I myself do it to get the editing experience and allows me to see my own sitcom's failings/successes in other people's work.

Though impressive in content and you can see how many people have read the thread, 4laughs is in general pretty poor for feedback and this forum is a much better way to go for people to learn how to improve their sketches.

This forum is getting busier every day and the core of people who do give feedback find it hard to keep up.

Don't forget, all of us are writers too, and we can't spend *all* our time helping other people, especially if, like me, I've never had anything published so am only giving out opinions, not necessarily professional advice!

Having said that a lot of the advice we give out tends to be covered in the 'Here Be Pirates'/'Rough Idea' threads that are pinned in 'Critique'. New forum members should really be courteous enough to read through those if they *do* want feedback from other members; SlagA has guided them to it in the 'New Newbies to the Critique Forum - Read' thread. Not that I'm having a go at anyone, just noting that a lot of advice I give out seems to be 'You're overwriting -- cut it down', 'Write a mid-series episode, not the character-building one', 'set up all your plots in the first two scenes'

Just my thoughts

Dan

I personally never read many sitcom pilot's unless:

1. it's someone I know/respect and I want to throw in my 2 cents.

2. it has a lot of feedback and the title looks interesting.

3. it's at the top and I'm bored.

most of that relates to it been talked about so I suppose "bumping" is'nt that bad as long as you don't go over board with it.

By bumping do you mean leaving a thread from your own original thread. Like by saying thankyou to the people who have commented. I hope thats not correct.That to me is called politness. Other than that I cant think of how you can bump.
If there is another way around it, and people are trying to make sure their work/threads are seen, fair play. You have to push a little for the things you want in this world.

bumping is leaving the thread for a while then adding a reply or editing it to make it hop to the top again as an active thread...Or so's far I understand it. I.m no boffin
I'm not really bothered by it to be honest a little healthy ducking and weaving is always useful in any business

Relax Charley, you're being polite, not bumping.

I agree with Swertyd, "Bump" is a bit too curt, there are better ways to bump.

;)

Personally i think bumping harms the forum as it interupts active threads when two or more people bump. If its among the first page of threads you should probably wait until it falls off to bump.

Saying thank you or replying isn't bumping its a good thing. Its also a good way of ending a thread, if you want to end it, so that new people can get on.

Thinking about it if you haven't had a reply and it has fallen off the first page you can bump it. Genuinely reading this thread has changed my mind on bumps so thanks for contributing.

I'll admit I 'bumped' the other day (you might be referring to me I don't know) but it was when everyone was so involved in the sitcom project so I think a fair bit in the critique forum was being missed. I certainly wouldn't do it a lot, but if someone else did it I wouldn't be bothered at all. Sorry if it does bother some.

Bump!

Ho ho ho. Aren't I amusing?

Anyway. Just stumbled across this 'ere thread.

Official-ruling-wot-I-just-made-up-'cos-I-run-the-place:

You may 'bump', but not until at least 48 hours have passed since the original posting; as mentioned previously, not everyone is online all of the time! I would also ask that people don't bump PURELY for the sake of bumping or getting one's thread to the top. It's not necessary and not appreciated. Generally, if someone has anything to say, then they will. In other words, use some initiative, be patient, and don't go fishing for attention.

I've done a bit of bumping but now I know my way round the site more I can look through everything relevant. Hopefully most of the rest of you do the same and look around so bumping isn't necessary.