The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Radio) Page 3

The last one was dreadful.

As I recall, they started going downhill when he had to come up with new stuff, different to the radio series. I remember him talking about how his disregard for deadlines meant he used to have to rush large chunks of stuff.

I wonder if he did rip off gain inspiration from Sheckley?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 25 2009, 2:03 PM BST

Controversial is right. A sixth novel, that nobody either asked for or expected.

A purely commercial act. Nothing to do with art, at all. Totally shameful venture.

Well, the one good thing for broadcasting this reading on radio is that it instantly be nominated for the British Comedy Guide Awards, so next January you will be able to vote against it in the "Worst Radio Sitcom" category - if it is listed as a sitcom.

I don't remember thinking the sixth book was commercial (although it must have been), so much as a deliberate act of revenge against the characters.

Douglas Adams was a wilful independent, genius. It's why he's so amazingly brilliant and stuff.

I can't imagine him being able to focus on a couple of comercial books once he was out of the zone (e.g. when the radio was over).

It's why he was never a Dan Brown or Helen Fielding.

Quote: Aaron @ May 8 2008, 11:39 AM BST

I have a first edition of the first book (paperback). Not in the greatest condition, but a first edition nonetheless! :D

I too had a first edition paperback. Gave it away to a friend when I bought the first 'trilogy in four parts' hardback. Also have a first edition of the radio scripts book, but imagine that would be quite common too, no.?

Quote: Kenneth @ September 25 2009, 11:53 PM BST

Also have a first edition of the radio scripts book, but imagine that would be quite common too, no.?

Nope. I've got a copy of that and I think you'll find it's quite rare. Worth hanging onto. ;)

I've got the first edition of the book. The first edition of the radio scripts book. And I've also got the towel (whether that's a first edition of it I don't know).

Quote: Ian Wolf @ September 25 2009, 1:58 PM BST

The controversal sixth H2G2 book, And Another Thing... is to be read on Radio 4's Book at Bedtime.

I can't believe they've gone and done it. Hitchhikers is the work of Douglas Adams, who, if I'm not mistaken, is dead. It doesn't even matter if the book is actually good, it's not Hitchhikers because it's not Adams.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 30 2009, 7:24 PM BST

I can't believe they've gone and done it. Hitchhikers is the work of Douglas Adams, who, if I'm not mistaken, is dead. It doesn't even matter if the book is actually good, it's not Hitchhikers because it's not Adams.

You're quite right. This is a thoroughly shameful, commercial venture.

There is a review of And Another Thing... in today's Times, prasing the book. There is also an article about writing the book by Colfer in today's Guardian.

BCG - 'And Another Thing...' In The Press...

The Star Wars prequels would have been better if George Lucas had handed them over to someone else to do.

The original creator isn't necessarily the best person to continue a series.

Quote: Blue Bottle @ October 10 2009, 10:44 AM BST

The original creator isn't necessarily the best person to continue a series.

I agree, people change with time, and you can't necessarily expect the same output from someone 30 years on. This is particularly true of rock bands, who often reform to attempt to recapture the magic, which can be tricky when the lithe youths of the past have been replaced by their middle-aged older selves.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 10 2009, 9:47 AM BST

There is a review of And Another Thing... in today's Times, prasing the book.

Of course, The Times also ran an "exclusive extract" of the new book in one of its Saturday editions, so no conflict of interests there...

The extract that I read captured nothing of Douglas' style and didn't contain a single laugh as far as I could see. :(

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 10 2009, 1:28 PM BST

Of course, The Times also ran an "exclusive extract" of the new book in one of its Saturday editions, so no conflict of interests there...

The extract that I read captured nothing of Douglas' style and didn't contain a single laugh as far as I could see. :(

Do you have a link to this extract?