Johnny Vegas Page 3

Nobody's mentioned anything about (an uncommonly sober) Vegas on Jonathan Ross last night. Wossy probed him about the "incident" but Vegas basically said nothing improper went on but he'll say no more about it because he feels uncomfortable about having to "defend his act". Fair enough I suppose.

But I know that if I was a celeb of Vegas's stature I'd be very keen to set the record straight. Could it be that the story goes like this:
Vegas gets a woman up on stage. Vegas enacts a bizarre Sleeping Beauty fantasy. Vegas fondles and fingers a woman on stage. People object. A LOT of people. Vegas's agents / advisors shit themselves and immediately book him on Jonny Ross in a damage limitation exercise. Case closed.

It may be that this is all bullshit - but from what I've read a lot of people felt intensely uncomfortable in the audience that night and Vegas had a great opportunity on Ross's show to give the lowdown on what happened. But he didn't.

I wasn't there so I don't even know why I'm writing this. I normally detest reactionary gun-jumpers but you can't ignore the amount of people that are saying something wrong went on that night.

What worries me the most is people talking about the girl in question, as if it makes it alright because she didn't object to what was going on. Well anyone that's been to a comedy club before will know that if you get dragged onstage, you do things you wouldn't normally do, simply because of peer pressure. The performer and audience are all willing you to go that extra mile and you do, against your better judgement.

I've experienced it myself at the hands of the comedy duo Die Clatterschenkenfietermaus. (Great act by the way) But if a friend had told me to get on my knees in front of 200 people and pretend to perform oral sex on another man, I'd tell him to f**k right off. But because I was in a comedy club, I felt I couldn't say no because it'd ruin the act and I'd come off looking a killjoy twat. So I did it. I was also made to lay face-down on the stage for f**king ages as part of their act. Of course what I didn't tell them was that I was recovering from a broken shoulder at the time. So there I was, lying on the stage face down in f**king agony, pretending to laugh along with what was happening. It all seemed quite natural at the time but the next morning I had to go to hospital because my shoulder had completely frozen, and I was sat there thinking to myself "You stupid twat, why didn't you just say "no"?"

And there's the issue I think. If this Vegas incident did happen, (and I'm still unconvinced it did) but IF it did, I imagine the girl in question went home afterwards and questioned her motives in letting it happen just like I did.

I've nothing personally against audience participation but the humour doesn't have to come from a bad place. Obviously there's gonna be pisstaking but there's a fine line and I personally HATE it when comedy turns into bullying.

Ooo that was a long post.

Very confessional and interesting.

I'm a distinctively big, jolly looking guy, who isn't especially smiley, so I get very used to getting picked on in audiences. In fairness I've walked out a couple of times, I don't mind some ribbing, but I won't be abused.

Now I think of it I've seen some much lesser standups do similar stuff, and it's horrible to watch. It's funny, but in a nasty cruel sort of way. When the audience is riled up, who wants to be the one who says no. And that whole thing of pushing people around on stage, and maybe getting a bit "hands on," it's not that unknown.

I think Johnny is a pretty extreme improver, who fights the audience, makes stuff up, and drinks enough to lower his inhibitions. I doubt he ever scripted "touch up girl." I think he famously looks for his comedic thread on stage, and then mines it.

As for Jonathon Ross, I suspect he's doing what ever his expensive lawyers tell him.

A similarly genius comic Andy Kauffman ruined his own TV career with being unpredictable.

I think we can forgot how primal, and savage real comedy can be.

n.b. as for The Guardian, pious wankers. Bloody typical find a 3rd rate feminist comic, and ask her to do a hatchet job. Bet Sarah Silverman wouldn't return their calls.

Feminist comedian, why do the words, contradiction and terms come to mind.

I too thought it was a bit weird he didn't say anything more on FNwJR, and that it was perhaps a little suspicious that he was on when he was (but then, there's a new series of Ideal, so nowhere near impossible that he was booked anyway). But he, rightly or wrongly, obviously believes that it's all been blown up out of recognition, so I'm not sure how much more he could have said?

Like I say, Johnny is probably doing what ever his lawyers tell him to, and his agent.

Remember if he says anything, the red tops will be waving cheque books to find any one to contradict him.

No doubt they are anyway.

I'm sure, but if the specific girl isn't saying anything, they're probably looking for something specific to bounce off of.

E.g. I never hit a woman, this woman says diferet for £50,000, and for £100,000 they'll say he's got a small cock too.

And a large parrot arf arf!

Quote: Aaron @ May 11 2008, 10:24 AM BST

I too thought it was a bit weird he didn't say anything more on FNwJR, and that it was perhaps a little suspicious that he was on when he was

He had been booked for a long time to appear last Friday to promote Ideal, so from his point of view it was quite unfortunate timing.

As for why he didn't say much about it to Jonathan - I think it might have something to do with the fact his lawyers have issued libel proccedings against The Guardian. I'm pretty sure his lawyers would have told him to try and avoid the subject as one isn't supposed to comment on things going to court?

I read the Guardian pretty much every day. Still like to see the pompous wine sipping liberals, take a beating.

Quote: Splodge @ May 4 2008, 9:55 PM BST

I wasn't surprised about him doing this, because anyone who is a fan of low rent Friday night Channel 4 entertainment will remember him doing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX2bIQQtVKk

:O

Just watched this.
Huh? Note to self: Don't go to a Johnny Vegas gig wearing white trainers.

That's pretty out there, though. A fat man sticking his finger up his arse and wiping shit on your trainers does not a good night out make. that's the first time I've seen Vegas in full-flow and it's just disturbing. I think he's a great actor and has really blown me away in Ideal, but no. That's just unpleasant.

Just watched the clip myself, bloody hell that is a but too much.

I mean that poor guy he sat on.

Funny though no one seems to think that was sexual harrasment, one rule for one, and one for t'other.

He didn't stick his fingers in that guy's vagina.

LOL. You're on top form this morning afternoon, zooo! :D

How do we know that for either of them?

We don't!
We also don't know enough to be complaining 'One rule for one, and one for the other'!

Quote: Aaron @ May 11 2008, 12:09 PM BST

LOL. You're on top form this morning afternoon, zooo! :D

It must be because I've had a DIP DAB!
For breakfast.

Even I don't do that! :O

Still. :D