Pulling & Peep Show; why are these so much better? Page 2

It's not Daydream Believers is it? Because the original pilot wasn't that good.

These shows are very much peas in a pod. However, I think it's important not to get carried away with blanket adoration. Peep Show, great as it is, never delivers the full on laugh out loud moments that something like Alan Partridge or Fawlty Towers can produce. And as much as I love it, I wish it didn't have quite the obsession with bodily functions, as it can get a bit wearying seeing yet another story featuring excrement or urine.

And although Armstrong/Baine are clearly talented writers, let's not forget they wrote a number of sketches for the extremely patchy Mitchell and Webb Look. And didn't they write the dire Magicians as well?

As for Pulling. Another very good show, but again I'm not sure it produces too many belly laughs. And neither show translate to a wider audience, which is the mark of great comedy.

Quote: Griff @ April 24 2008, 8:27 AM BST

Well, I did manage to chat to Beryl Vertue who is producing the new Mitchell and Webb sitcom pilot through Hartswood Films for BBC2. And I learned the name of it. But I am sworn to secrecy!

Ah g'wan, you can tell me!

It's probably called That Mitchell and Webb Sitcom.

Quote: chipolata @ April 24 2008, 11:29 AM BST

These shows are very much peas in a pod. However, I think it's important not to get carried away with blanket adoration. Peep Show, great as it is, never delivers the full on laugh out loud moments that something like Alan Partridge or Fawlty Towers can produce. And as much as I love it, I wish it didn't have quite the obsession with bodily functions, as it can get a bit wearying seeing yet another story featuring excrement or urine.

And although Armstrong/Baine are clearly talented writers, let's not forget they wrote a number of sketches for the extremely patchy Mitchell and Webb Look. And didn't they write the dire Magicians as well?

As for Pulling. Another very good show, but again I'm not sure it produces too many belly laughs. And neither show translate to a wider audience, which is the mark of great comedy.

C'MON. Peep Show makes me laugh 10 times an episode. Alan Partridge did that sure, as did faulty. What about Jeremy going to interview at marks office, or Mark locked in his room during a party.

Quote: chipolata @ April 24 2008, 11:52 AM BST

It's probably called That Mitchell and Webb Sitcom.

Hah!

Oliver, I wouldn't disagree that Peep Show is both a great and seminal sitcom. I just don't personally think it's one that generates hard belly laughs, in the way Fawlty Towers or Some Mothers Do Ave Em did. It's a different kind of laughter. And let's not forget, since it's inception Peep Show has constantly been on the verge of being cancelled simply because it doesn't pull in much of an audience. And it doesn't pull in much of an audience because it's not as accessible as the aforementioned shows.

Incidentally, I should stress again I love the show.

Quote: chipolata @ April 24 2008, 12:18 PM BST

Oliver, I wouldn't disagree that Peep Show is both a great and seminal sitcom. I just don't personally think it's one that generates hard belly laughs, in the way Fawlty Towers or Some Mothers Do Ave Em did. It's a different kind of laughter. And let's not forget, since it's inception Peep Show has constantly been on the verge of being cancelled simply because it doesn't pull in much of an audience. And it doesn't pull in much of an audience because it's not as accessible as the aforementioned shows.

Incidentally, I should stress again I love the show.

ok i forgive you...

...im just selfish. Because the BBC waste my money on green grass, Gavins and Stacey's....Basically I realise that the general intelligence level of the UK is low and therefore majority rules. I think stupid people should pay clever people a form of income tax

as for G&S I hate it, the stupid simple morons, why should I have to hear how good people think it is. It's like the real life equivalent of 'when the whistle blows'. Why not let them lie in their own filth. Did Churchill defeat Napoleon by being calm and collected? I don’t think so! Pride is built on my attitude and its downfall is because people like these want us all to be Cheese eating surrender monkeys, like the Swedish.

In fairness to the BBC, they do have a difficult remit in that they have to please so many different stratas of society. And if every show was like Peep Show, we'd soon get bored with that style of humour.

Quote: Oliver @ April 24 2008, 1:00 PM BST

Because the BBC waste my money on green grass, Gavins and Stacey's....Basically I realise that the general intelligence level of the UK is low and therefore majority rules.

I enjoy The Green Green Grass. After a long week at work and a long commute, being able to just sit down, relax, and watch a show which doesn't try and make me think or push any boundaries, is a very welcome relief.

I think stupid people should pay clever people a form of income tax

Now there's a policy I can vote for! :D

Wait. I can't afford to lose any more money. :(

Did Churchill defeat Napoleon by being calm and collected? I don’t think so!

Ermm...

Quote: Griff @ April 24 2008, 8:27 AM BST

Well, I did manage to chat to Beryl Vertue who is producing the new Mitchell and Webb sitcom pilot through Hartswood Films for BBC2. And I learned the name of it. But I am sworn to secrecy!

Ooooh!
Pleeeeeease tell me! Teary
I'll take it to the grave!

Quote: Oliver @ April 23 2008, 4:01 PM BST

I can't quite believe you wrote 'im not inhibited about sex so I can't relate to Peep Show'. Only someone who is inhibited would actually write something like that....it's a bit like saying you can't watch actors who are gay because your definatley not gay yourself! Peep Show is about life situations, the reality and taboo's of the mind etc...it is something that can make you laugh and reflect when you realise that most of us are in fact just insecure and fragile like the rest, no matter what we appear to be. It's called being human.

Peep show is about two moral and physical cowards who wank a lot and find it hard to attract or comprehend women. I can understand the characters but I don't relate to them.

I believe 'it's called being human' was the working title of the show.

And I'm really not inhibited about sex. Ask nanny.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 24 2008, 6:47 PM BST

Peep show is about two moral and physical cowards who wank a lot and find it hard to attract or comprehend women. I can understand the characters but I don't relate to them.

I believe 'it's called being human' was the working title of the show.

And I'm really not inhibited about sex. Ask nanny.

Actually that response was quite funny. I also found it very interesting that was the original working title.

Can your Nanny help me?

Quote: zooo @ April 24 2008, 6:42 PM BST

Ooooh!
Pleeeeeease tell me! Teary
I'll take it to the grave!

Or at least until broadcast...

Quote: Aaron @ April 24 2008, 5:37 PM BST

I enjoy The Green Green Grass. After a long week at work and a long commute, being able to just sit down, relax, and watch a show which doesn't try and make me think or push any boundaries, is a very welcome relief.

I hardly think whatever it is you do counts as work, since you're always on these forums. Also Green Green Grass is set near where I live, so it can't be that bad.