Persistently Best Sitcom Actor? Page 2

I still can't believe anyone can dislike Spaced. :( You make me sad.

Asylum isn't anywhere near as ace, but one bit I can think of that could be annoying is the Adam Bloom bit.

Quote: hotzappa11 @ April 21 2008, 5:24 PM BST

Stephen Mangan

Yes! Good one.
Mark Heap too, maybe.

I feel like I'm forgetting someone really obvious... but I can't think who.

There aren't many sitcom performers who've been in, say, more than two.

I mean Kevin Eldon is a consistently good comedy actor but hasn't really done much sitcom.

Rik Mayall? He's always worth a shout in sitcoms . . . Oh, no, he was in that god awful one shortly after his accident. Believe Nothing?

Quote: zooo @ April 21 2008, 5:25 PM BST

Asylum isn't anywhere near as ace, but one bit I can think of that could be annoying is the Adam Bloom bit.

Yes! Good one.
Mark Heap too, maybe.

I feel like I'm forgetting someone really obvious... but I can't think who.

Mark Heap is a consistantly good comedy actor, but he's not done a lot of sitcom.

Steven Mangan has ruined his lot thanks to those awful Mastercard adds. Same with Rhind -Tutt - who I thought was ace in Hippies.

Simon Pegg has been in a few sitcoms and always shines, but outside of Spaced hasn't done anything REALLY good. Just good.

Quote: Seefacts @ April 21 2008, 5:28 PM BST

Rik Mayall? He's always worth a shout in sitcoms . . . Oh, no, he was in that god awful one shortly after his accident. Believe Nothing?

That's the one. Awful, you think? Haven't seen it - although it's out on DVD! Really must get around to having a look.

Quote: Seefacts @ April 21 2008, 5:28 PM BST

Steven Mangan has ruined his lot thanks to those awful Mastercard adds. Same with Rhind -Tutt - who I thought was ace in Hippies.

They're the best ads we've got, so don't knock 'em.

Quote: zooo @ April 21 2008, 5:25 PM BST

Well, I'll give it (Spaced) another go, just for you. But I literally didn't even crack a smile throughout the entire run, so I'm not getting my hopes up for it.

Asylum, I'll see if I can force myself to try again. No promises though!

Quote: Aaron @ April 21 2008, 4:21 PM BST

Having been in the barely-sitcom Mighty Boosh, and one series of the highly popular (!) Nathan Barley... Am I missing anything else?

Nathan Barely, mighty boosh, asylum, It crowd,

Are you thinking of Noel Fielding?

There's Garth Merenghi too, albeit only a little role.

Never saw any Garth Marenghi stuff. I hear good things about it though, so should probably investigate at some point.

Quote: Aaron @ April 21 2008, 7:39 PM BST

Never saw any Garth Marenghi stuff. I hear good things about it though, so should probably investigate at some point.

Darkplace - ace.

Man to Man - Not so good, a bit shit.

Aaron - you spend a lot of time going 'Not seen much of that' - is there any SITCOM you can seen?! I think you're full of it, you've not seen any comedy ever, and you're over compensating with this site.

Fact.

Nah, it's only the modern stuff I've not seen. Partly 'cos it's shit, and partly 'cos I'm working my way through British comedy in a roughly chronological order. ;)

I think Ronnie Barker is top, followed by Rowan Atkinson for his variation (BlackAdder, Thin Blue Line and Bean couldn't be more different). Modern day is quite tough as a lot of them play the same type of character in everything.

Ruth Jones for Saxondale, Nighty Night and Gavin & Stacey. Kevin Eldon always does well too. Ruth Jones at the mo.

I love Mayall as much as the next (wo)man but didn't he do a really awful sitcom about living in a hot air balloon for itv about 10 years ago?

Ardal O'Hanlon maybe? And, ahem, Gervais?

I'd vote for Rossiter though.

Quote: jacparov @ April 21 2008, 10:06 PM BST

Ardal O'Hanlon maybe?

whhhhhhy...?

Because he was in Father Ted and My Hero, two very successful shows.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ April 21 2008, 9:23 PM BST

I think Ronnie Barker is top, followed by Rowan Atkinson for his variation (BlackAdder, Thin Blue Line and Bean couldn't be more different). Modern day is quite tough as a lot of them play the same type of character in everything.

I don't agree - Blackadder is very Thin Blue Line

Quote: ContainsNuts @ April 21 2008, 9:23 PM BST

Ruth Jones for Saxondale, Nighty Night and Gavin & Stacey. Kevin Eldon always does well too. Ruth Jones at the mo.

I agree there though.

There are similar aspects David (it'd be weird if there weren't, given the writer and star), but I don't think enough to say "very"?