Laura, Ben and Him

Mmm, so so.

I quite liked Victoria the lesbian and the storytelling mother. Also nice to see short-and-to-the-point sketches, rather than long drawn out ones with no or little payoff. Some good characters, and Laura's got to be the best of the three, but for me the jokes just weren't there.

It'll be interesting to see how the future episodes turn out, but I think that's the style pretty much 'set'.

Anyone else?

Here and there. Some great sketches, but some awful ones. I really liked the Pony sketch. Slag Trap. Storytelling Mother. And the Fresh Fruit sketch. I'll type more when I remember. But I'll say it again, Laura Solon is great.

I guess they packed enough into something like 22 minutes.

I missed most of it cos James Cordon was on the other side. Being all inexplicably sexy.

I saw the storytelling mum though. Which made me laugh a bit.

Laugh a bit and sigh and stare wistfully into the distance?

You know me so well...

I am at one with the Glorious Leader. :)

Very hit and miss... but with a bigger writing team behind them it could be a hit. I also like the fact most sketches were in and out quickly.

The posh bickering couple, the slag trap and the randy storytelling mother were probably my favourites.

Next week will be the big test though - how many sketches will be repeated?

While ITV2 should be applauded for trying to develop new comedy, I was disappointed. The sketches were so-so, with more misses than hits, and I thought the whole thing would have worked better in front of a studio audience. I also couldn't help but feel it was something of an anti-climax. Laura Solon is often heralded as the next big thing, but if this is anything to go by, she isn't even the next Karen Taylor.

Quote: chipolata @ March 12, 2008, 9:55 AM

Laura Solon is often heralded as the next big thing, but if this is anything to go by, she isn't even the next Karen Taylor.

Totally agree. It shows how poor comedy is when she's regarded as the next big thing. It is absolutely rubbish. Really, really, poor. I'm looking at the names on the credits and thinking all these people let the programme go ahead! The guy with the bald head is so unfunny. He was in a BBC Three pilot about something or other and he was a pain in that too. It seems you only need to have a strange look about you or a strange voice to get on these days. What happened to being funny?

I see some of the sketches like the one where they're dressed up in period costumes with all the extras and think "Was it really worth the effort?" He hits her in the face twice, she shoots him in the groin. Is that comedy? And the guy who was ranting. How was that ever funny? And the role playing sketch went on forever and there wasn't even in a joke in it.

I am so reluctant to view these new shows because the standard is all the same. They're going from University to Edinburgh to Radio 4 to BBC Three/ITV and it's all the same crappy stuff. Take a lot longer to write it and come up with something funny. Ben Willbond looks as if he could star in somebody else's work to good effect.

Quote: David H @ March 12, 2008, 10:27 AM

The guy with the bald head is so unfunny.

Does anyone else think he looks like Matt Lucas going cold-turkey?

Quote: Aaron @ March 12, 2008, 11:04 AM

Does anyone else think he looks like Matt Lucas going cold-turkey?

LOL. I do like him, even if David doesn't. He's funny in We are Klang

I suspect that this series will start to go downhill now (all sketch shows seem to after the first episode) but I still maintain it was better for ITV to give them a chance than stick on another documentary about Jordan.

I've just remembered a funny line that got a bit buried. I think it went something like: "Elephant and Castle: Two promises, neither delivered."

I forgot to add I liked the Dungeons & Dragons type sketch.

I really rated this show, i found some of Laura's characters a little self indulgent i.e 'look i can do loads of accents' but the cute bald guy is really really talented, seen him in other bits, though it looked like he wasn't given enough freedom with the characters as i've seen him really shine before. Ben willbond - well he's a fine comedy actor but clearly not a writer. As far as sketch shows go its a good one and nice to see 3 people working together who want to rather than some manufactured demographic sucking thing from the broadcasters.

Quote: Mark @ March 12, 2008, 11:56 AM

I've just remembered a funny line that got a bit buried. I think it went something like: "Elephant and Castle: Two promises, neither delivered."

Yes, that was great! :D

Quote: marmalade @ March 12, 2008, 1:19 PM

As far as sketch shows go its a good one and nice to see 3 people working together who want to rather than some manufactured demographic sucking thing from the broadcasters.

Welcome to the BSG! And no argument here on that one. :)

On a barely-even-related note, there's a little interview with Laura in tonight's London Lite about why she loves living in Pimlico.

Pity they credited the show as being on ITV1...