Slow moving but they will grow on you!

Three slow moving sitcoms that are set in very restricted environments and on first inspection offer little. However, they have all grown on me enough to seek similar suggestions for my next purchase.

1. Early Doors. Every night the same regulars bring their particular foibles to the bar of this northern pub.
2. Smoking Room. A smoking room in a large company becomes the place to hide for a group of personnel.
3. Marion and Geoff. A hapless cuckold who addresses us via a camcorder set up in his mini-cab.

Similar suggestions please.

Hi David.

I've been thinking about this - the problem is, you've just named possibly the best three 'slow moving' sitcoms there are*... which makes suggesting anything else hard.

* well, some people would say The Royle Family should be in any top 3 slow moving sitcoms list, although I don't personally rate that show.

That said, here's some other suggestions... hopefully you'll have already seen some of these though, as that will hopefully allow you to gauge how well the others might fit your tastes. These are in the order of most-suitable / good first.

15 Storeys High. Follows the lives of the residents of a tower block.

Spaced. The sitcom in which not much happens. But that doesn't make it bad.

Help. Various patients (played by Paul Whitehouse) visit a psychiatrist (Chris Langham)

Operation Good Guys. Fly on the wall sitcom following an inept cop unit.

Ideal. The life of a small-time drug dealer.

Happiness. Features Paul Whitehouse as a man facing a mid-life crisis.

Wild West. Lazily paced sitcom set in Cornwall.

The Book Group sitcom based on, hey, a book group. Understated and under-rated.

One of the BBC4 pilots from the 'Tight Spot' season featured two blokes in a car (Stuck) and another, The Lift, was entirely shot in a lift. They were both worth seeing.

Another vote for 15 Storeys High too. Started watching the DVD last night and the first episode is hilarious. It epitomises slow-moving (especially in the 'chase' scene!)

Dan

I'd like to (partially) add Jam & Jerusalem. It's not really a sitcom in my opinion, but if you watch it with very light comedic drama in mind, it does become more endearing.

Quote: Aaron @ March 4, 2008, 10:19 AM

I'd like to (partially) add Jam & Jerusalem. It's not really a sitcom...

I couldn't agree more.

Jam & Jerusalem - the comedic equivalent of an arrowroot biscuit.

Spaced?!

No way. Loads goes on. The Matrix Agents, Robot wars, Simon Pegg in a big tank.

Loads!

So much that they didn't have the time to fit in anything funny. :(

(I'll incur the wrath of the Glorious Leader if I'm not careful here.)

Too late!

Quote: Aaron @ March 10, 2008, 5:01 PM

So much that they didn't have the time to fit in anything funny. :(

(I'll incur the wrath of the Glorious Leader if I'm not careful here.)

Are you referring to Spaced?

Don't make me open an e-can of whoop ass on you!

Yes Seefacts, yes I am.

Quote: zooo @ March 10, 2008, 5:01 PM

Too late!

*hides*

I think Rising Damp was quite a static, slow moving sitcom. Certainly by todays standards it seems very slow at times. It is, of course, also brilliant.

I thought that Help was brilliant and highlighted how incredibly talented Paul Whitehouse is.

Quote: swerytd @ March 4 2008, 10:12 AM GMT

One of the BBC4 pilots from the 'Tight Spot' season featured two blokes in a car (Stuck) and another, The Lift, was entirely shot in a lift. They were both worth seeing.

I'd really like to see these. does anyone know if they're released or available to watch anywhere? Or ... have copies

Quote: David Moore @ March 3 2008, 11:30 PM GMT

Three slow moving sitcoms that are set in very restricted environments and on first inspection offer little. However, they have all grown on me enough to seek similar suggestions for my next purchase.

1. Early Doors. Every night the same regulars bring their particular foibles to the bar of this northern pub.
2. Smoking Room. A smoking room in a large company becomes the place to hide for a group of personnel.
3. Marion and Geoff. A hapless cuckold who addresses us via a camcorder set up in his mini-cab.

Similar suggestions please.

I found out recently, that the bloke who wrote The Smoking Room went to the same school as me.

Quote: chipolata @ May 8 2008, 3:41 PM BST

I think Rising Damp was quite a static, slow moving sitcom. Certainly by todays standards it seems very slow at times. It is, of course, also brilliant.

I don't agree with you on this. Leonard Rossiter had so much energy, that he stopped the show from ever seeming slow.