New synopsis

My, it's busy today. Anyway, please make time to read a synopsis for a sitcom that actually came to me fully formed in a dream. I know it looks like something more serious but I find it impossible to write without comedic overtones, however black.

Worth More Dead

Derek Mandrill, a low status English lecturer, realises he is worth more dead than alive and wants nothing more than to impress his long suffering and hard up wife. He has his chequebook stolen on a shopping trip during his summer holiday. He discovers the man who has stolen his chequebook - incidentally Terry’s lookalike – in a bank, cashing a cheque in his name. In the ensuing chase and fracas, the thief is killed (Terry chases him until the man has a fatal seizure on the bonnet of his own car). Terry fakes his own death by switching clothes and personal effects with the dead man and assumes his identity.

He attends his own funeral and is spotted by an ex girlfriend, an enemy of Terry’s wife’s, who becomes his confidante. The police officer in charge of the investigation into Terry’s ‘death’ becomes much too friendly with his grieving wife and gets his feet under the table.

The series would revolve around Terry’s ill-fated attempts to keep up another’s identity, the increasingly obsessive surveillance of his wife and his attempts to contact her about the life assurance and other policies which she knew nothing about. At every point, his efforts are thwarted by the omnipresent and ever suspicious policeman who senses a scam and always forces Terry to flee or withdraw. It would also explore the relationship between Terry and his ex girlfriend who is unhappily married and the security guard who ends up shielding him in a department store from the net that is closing in on him.

Love it! Can I have some of what you take before dreaming?
My only thought is whether it would work better as a one-off feature? I'm not sure whether it could plausibly be maintained over a series or two.

Good, dark idea; though I agree that it might be difficult to keep this going over several series. Also see a bit of Reggie Perrin in there, but different enough not to be accused of trying to copy it.

Hi Badge,
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I thought of a sitcom as there are innumerable ways in which situations involving fugitives or characters who are trying to get something and being frustrated at ever turn can be maintained. Just look at the Incredible Hulk, A Team, Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin!
I imagine the lead character's permanent situation to be his department store hideaway with the night security guard but his days would be taken up by trying in vain to make everything ok for his wife and, ultimately, to get back with her after buggering up his marriage by faking his own death.

Liked the idea but am a bit confused, is Terry Derek at the start?

It's more comedy drama than sitcom. Reminds me a bit of Grass, which I really liked. I do like these series that have a point and get to it by the end (take note, Life On Mars!)

Might make a good film too.

Dan

Yeah I see that making a better film than a comedy drama series.

Fred, that's a superb idea. I love it unconditionally, even if you got Pixar to make it with an Eddie Murphy-voiced zebra as the lead, I'd still love it. If you decide to pursue it in any form I'd happily help to write/listen to ideas if you needed any extra help.

Sorry! Last minute name change. The protagonist is called Derek, not Terry. Updated version below and thanks for the feedback.

Worth More Dead

Derek Mandrill, a low status English lecturer, realises he is worth more dead than alive and wants nothing more than to impress his long suffering and hard up wife. He has his chequebook stolen on a shopping trip during his summer holiday. He discovers the man who has stolen his chequebook - incidentally Derek’s lookalike – in a bank, cashing a cheque in his name. In the ensuing chase and fracas, the thief is killed (Derek chases him until the man has a fatal seizure on the bonnet of his own car). Derek fakes his own death by switching clothes and personal effects with the dead man and assumes his identity.

He attends his own funeral and is spotted by an ex girlfriend, an enemy of Derek’s wife’s, who becomes his confidante. The police officer in charge of the investigation into Derek’s ‘death’ becomes much too friendly with his grieving wife and gets his feet under thetable.

The series would revolve around Derek’s ill-fated attempts to keep up another’s identity, the increasingly obsessive surveillance of his wife and his attempts to contact her about the life assurance and other policies which she knew nothing about. At every point, his efforts are thwarted by the omnipresent and ever suspicious policeman who senses a scam and always forces Derek to flee or withdraw. It would also explore the relationship between Derek and his ex girlfriend who is unhappily married and the security guard who ends up shielding him in a department store from the net that is closing in on him.

Love it Love it Love it!!!!!!
If you dont do something with this then you are a Maddo...
Get working on it full on now! Oh and by the way, i make a wonderful grieving widow, or a confidante, remember my arse when it comes to casting.

Good luck. Now stop reading this & get back workiing on it.

Thanks a lot, Charley. With such kind words you deserve a Hitchcockesque cameo carrying a poodle at the very least! I'll keep yo ass in mind!