Steptoe and Son Page 4

I used to like Steptoe & Son, but I find it very hard to watch now, without thinking about how dirty the old man really was in real life.
If Wilfrid Brambell was around now, and a lot younger, and doing what he was doing then, he may well have been ended up on the sex offenders list, possibly even as a paedophile.
I know this sounds a bit strong, but that's how I feel about it.
I know he caused Harry H. Corbett a lot of aggro in real life.

Quote: Robin @ November 20 2008, 10:58 PM GMT

I used to like Steptoe & Son, but I find it very hard to watch now, without thinking about how dirty the old man really was in real life.
If Wilfrid Brambell was around now, and a lot younger, and doing what he was doing then, he may well have been ended up on the sex offenders list, possibly even as a paedophile.

What on earth did he do?

I thought he was just gay.

To copy straight from Wikipedia:

"As he battled with alcoholism, he frequently forgot his lines and caused other problems both on and off the set. Brambell was also a homosexual at a time when it was almost impossible for public figures to be openly gay. He was arrested and charged for 'cottaging' in the early 1960s and subsequently holidayed annually in Asia."

Not exactly the worst record. But then perhaps there are other rumours or stories of which neither I nor Wikipedia are aware.

Hmm.
Sounds like he was just gay to me.
And had the temerity to holiday abroad. ;)

But yeah, I guess it's possible there are things even the mighty Wiki doesn't know... :O

Quote: Aaron @ November 20 2008, 11:42 PM GMT

But then perhaps there are other rumours or stories of which neither I nor Wikipedia are aware.

I take it it was you who just tidied up the entry?

That it was. Took out some ridiculous reference to his spirit haunting the 'Sunderland Message Board'.

Quote: Robin @ November 20 2008, 10:58 PM GMT

A BIT STRONG?? just because someone is gay, and in a time when it was illegal, and not compulsory.... does not and never has made them a paedophile!

What Brambell did was not even close to Gerorge Michael's tarrif of sad behaviour, is he a paedo?

Just exactly HOW do you know he gave Harry a load of grief? I bet you read the Sun don't you?

Rolling eyes

Edited by Aaron.

Quote: gashparty @ November 25 2008, 1:12 PM GMT

Just exactly HOW do you know he gave Harry a load of grief? I bet you read the Sun don't you?

That's quite well documented and roundly accepted.

(Well, and vice versa, to be fair.)

Accepted by who? The numpty that wrote the When Steptoe Met Son?

Totally refuted by family, friends and colleagues, who actually knew them, as exaggerated and highly embellished.

Edited by Aaron.