Who do you fancy? Page 840

Exactly. If you can't take a useable photograph when you're a professional photographer working in a studio with professional equipment you have no business being a photographer! Generally these sorts of photos are edited because the idea of someone not looking like a completely smooth sex doll is alarming to the people who put out these pictures. I'm sure the original photo looked perfectly good, but they've made her look unreal because it suits someone's idea of perfection.

Re-watched '500 Days of Summer' last night and was reminded how unutterably gorgeous this lady is...

Quote: Harridan @ August 23 2012, 3:59 PM BST

Exactly. If you can't take a useable photograph when you're a professional photographer working in a studio with professional equipment you have no business being a photographer!

No, I think Photoshop is just part and parcel of the modern job of photographer just like Word and all the tools it brings are part of the modern writers job. A lot of photos are quite heavily photoshopped but I don't really see that it harms anyone.

Quote: Lazzard @ August 23 2012, 4:12 PM BST

Re-watched '500 Days of Summer' last night and was reminded how unutterably gorgeous this lady is...

<3 <3 <3

Quote: zooo @ August 23 2012, 3:53 PM BST

When people say someone's been photoshopped they're not usually mocking the person

I think they sort of are. They're trying to knock the person down a peg or two - and I won't stand for it!

Quote: chipolata @ August 23 2012, 4:16 PM BST

No, I think Photoshop is just part and parcel of the modern job of photographer just like Word and all the tools it brings are part of the modern writers job. A lot of photos are quite heavily photoshopped but I don't really see that it harms anyone.

Watch this and tell me it doesn't harm anyone:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/goks-teens-the-naked-truth/4od#3306650

Quote: chipolata @ August 23 2012, 4:17 PM BST

I think they sort of are. They're trying to knock the person down a peg or two - and I won't stand for it!

:P

Quote: Harridan @ August 23 2012, 4:18 PM BST

Watch this and tell me it doesn't harm anyone:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/goks-teens-the-naked-truth/4od#3306650

How wonderfully ironic that the bulk of the commercials surrounding this piece are from cosmetics companies.

Photoshopping is jus a tool.
When it's used in the pursuit of profit via the sexualisation of youth - it's heinous.
If it's used to make your wedding photos look a bit nicer - not so bad.

The trouble is, the brain has been demoted below the body in today's culture.
TV used to have a role in the promotion of culture.
Now it has Gok Kwan.

Quote: chipolata @ August 23 2012, 3:46 PM BST

Photoshopping has become a term of abuse, or a way to diminish somebody

And quite rightly, it is outrageous the lengths that advertising companies go to just to flog their £1 jar of moisturiser to gullible chicks for £70.

Is digital manipulation any different to make up, clever lighting or soft focus lenses? Only in that it's more pervasive thanks to the dominance of digital images and the way we receive them.

When HD was introduced, out of work make up artists suddenly found themselves in huge demand as the telly people realised we could see their flaws.

Conversely, you try selling your overpriced wrinkle cream featuring a fat, ugly model with a moustache, bloodshot eyes and blackheads, women wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. It's all about unobtainable aspirations and the notion of perfection and the consumers are just as complicit as the cosmetics makers in the photoshop scam.

I think everyone's more than aware that makeup ads are wall to wall photoshop.
When I think of photoshopping I automatically think of lads mags, targetting gullible, idiotic men who think that's what women look like. :)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 23 2012, 4:59 PM BST

Is digital manipulation any different to make up, clever lighting or soft focus lenses?

Make up can't make your legs look ridiculously long.

I think the problem is that unlike make-up, digital manipulation is new and so we haven't quite got used to telling it looks wrong. We've managed it with CGI in films, so whereas the effects used to look cool when they were new, they often now look bad. When we can tell that someone looks ridiculous with massive boobs, long legs and the complexion of a child, it will have to be used with more subtlety and then it will be no different to the traditional means of 'enhancing' your looks. Or *lying*, as Chris Rock calls it.

Quote: zooo @ August 23 2012, 5:05 PM BST

When I think of photoshopping I automatically think of lads mags, targetting gullible, idiotic men who think that's what women look like. :)

That's sexist.

Psst, I was imitating Renegade.

Quote: Ben @ August 23 2012, 5:11 PM BST

That's sexist.

It certainly is Ben. Idiotic men are more then easily fooled by hair dye, hair extensions, high heels, fake tan, false tits, eyeliner, mascara, contact lenses, collagen lips, drawn on eyebrows, wonder bras, moustache bleach, foundation and plastic surgery.

Adding photoshop on top of all that makes women look unrealistic. Whistling nnocently

Gosh, women certainly are disgusting, lying scum aren't they.

It's lucky men are only ever attracted to the ones who do none of that! I hear Su-bo's very popular.