Never Better Page 5

Anyone notice the subtle hints of anti-Christian in this week's episode? Funny how that's allowed but not towards other religions, isn't it? It's almost as if there were anti-Christian racists in charge of our media.

Oh christ. Please don't be a conspiraloon! :)

Thank goodness for digs against religion. All religions. Maybe they'll do islam next week.

I think this show gets better every week.

And it had a lovely little kitty.

BBC: "Thursdays are funny"

I think not.

Quote: Philly Baby @ January 24, 2008, 10:41 PM

Anyone notice the subtle hints of anti-Christian in this week's episode? Funny how that's allowed but not towards other religions, isn't it? It's almost as if there were anti-Christian racists in charge of our media.

Yeah but what are the Christians going to do? Give them a really hard forgiving? Angelic

Didn't think this episode was as good as 2. It was almost two completely unrelated storylines stuck together.

Quote: Philly Baby @ January 24, 2008, 10:41 PM

It's almost as if there were anti-Christian racists in charge of our media.

Anti-Christian racists??? Congratulations on writing the most ridiculous post in this site's history. Very funny stuff.

I think there's a a fair amount of truth in the fact that Christians often get a kicking from comedy, while everybody appears terrified to have a go at other religions, namely Islam. As for anti-Christian bias in Never Better, I couldn't say, I gave up after episode 2. It all seems far to derivative. I suspect I'm not alone, and I doubt they'll be a second series.

Quote: chipolata @ January 25, 2008, 10:15 AM

I think there's a a fair amount of truth in the fact that Christians often get a kicking from comedy, while everybody appears terrified to have a go at other religions, namely Islam. As for anti-Christian bias in Never Better, I couldn't say, I gave up after episode 2. It all seems far to derivative. I suspect I'm not alone, and I doubt they'll be a second series.

Sure Christianity is sometimes mocked, but that has nothing to do with racism.

I've given up on this show too. I caught about 2 minutes of it last night and even in that time noticed that the cat's name was copied from Skinner and Baddiel (unless this was explained elsewhere). Far too derivative as you said, bad characterisation and nowhere near funny enough.

Quote: Nick @ January 25, 2008, 10:24 AM

Sure Christianity is sometimes mocked, but that has nothing to do with racism.

You're right, but I didn't call it racism. It was Philly Baby, who was probably getting a bit carried away.

Quote: zooo @ January 24, 2008, 10:45 PM

Oh christ. Please don't be a conspiraloon! :)

Thank goodness for digs against religion. All religions. Maybe they'll do islam next week.

I think this show gets better every week.

And it had a lovely little kitty.

That's the trouble though isn't it.

The smart arse Guardian readership who run things like the BBC wouldn't dare criticise any other religion - unless it's Omid or Jocelyne.

And I think the cat's name was to show that she wasn't very original - not the joke.

I'm afraid it's all a bit too like Lead Balloon for me though but not good enough.

i hate this show and i've never even seen it.

isn't it that christians are allowed to mock christians. i suspect that the show was predominantly written, made and performed by people who have had a largely christian upbringing.
having been forced to say prayers, go to sunday school, sing hymns, endure christian rituals all my life i feel entitled to have a go at them. i wouldn't really feel in a position to mock other religions because they have done nothing to me and i have no experience of them.

Chairman Meow is quite a common name for a cat. I think David Baddiel called his cat that though, yes.

Yesterday I thought it reminded me of Curb, at the beginning. Style only though, didn't think it was copying it at all.

I really like it.

Quote: zooo @ January 25, 2008, 12:04 PM

Chairman Meow

I believe it's spelt 'Miaow'.

The pun doesn't work quite as well otherwise!

According to The Guardian, last night's episode attracted only 900,000 viewers (5%). This is compared to "The Convention Crasher" with Justin Lee Collins with 1.1 million (7%). It even lost out to Five's "Help! I've Got a High Maintenance Wife!" which had 1 million viewers (6%).

Quote: Aaron @ January 25, 2008, 1:26 PM

I believe it's spelt 'Miaow'.

The pun doesn't work quite as well otherwise!

Ha. Good point.
:$

There another interview with Mangan in The Guardian. In it, he says he hates The Archers, which must have caused a bit of tension on the Green Wing set seeing as how Tamsin Greig stars in it.