Doctor Who... Page 436

Quote: Gavin @ April 18 2010, 6:08 PM BST

New Daleks

"exsperminate!" As David Brent would say...

Quote: zooo @ April 18 2010, 2:22 PM BST

But that's what Dr Who is forrrr. It's fun being scared by it when you're a kid.

It's a testament to Moffat's ability to scare, that several kids I know still talk about how scared they were by Blink, but such powerful stuff must be treated with caution. It might well be that Who is scarier for this generation than it was for previous ones.

Of course my kids get to see it, but only at a time of my choosing; not just before bed, else they'll come and moan about not being able to sleep when I'm trying to demonstrate my 'sonic screwdriver' to my 'new assistant'.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 18 2010, 1:45 PM BST

(why it /..../was dropped by the BBC)

I remember it being thought that girls didn't like it. At that time, there was a big movement toward girly-comics, with Love and Rockets and Tankgirl making headway, and a lot of the old stuff was considered to be almost sexist in its perceived maleness.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 18 2010, 1:45 PM BST

It's funny, the issues and problems with old Who (why it died in the ratings and was dropped by the BBC) were ironed out by hardcore fans in the fifteen years the show was off the air.

I wouldn't say it was entirely down to content that Who's ratings dropped and the show was axed. The first Colin Baker series had decent figures, then it was axed. When it returned with 'Trial' a couple of million viewers, from the very first episode, didn't. I'm not saying there weren't problems with the shows themselves, I'm not going to pretend the Colin Baker era was stuffed with classics (!), but it does seem to show, um, something. Before the hiatus, the viewing figures were fine, when it came back afterwards, the total audience didn't. Maybe the hiatus just helped break what had become a habit for some, I don't know. It didn't of course help that there were several very weak series though.

I agree about the historical thing though, it would be nice to see a series pass without meeting someone famous.

No, of course you're right - I was trying to tie it all together for the 'general reader'. Michael Grade would have scrapped WHo under any circumstances. He had a hard-on for scrapping the programme. What's worse is he killed it slowly, forcing Nathan Turner to replace Baker and allowing it to drift on unloved and under-funded for a few more years. The ratings decline was obviously a partial side-affect of kicking the show in the nuts, although JNT made a lot of bad decisions and few people would disagree that he stayed too long.

For me the show has two successful paradigms:

The Barry Letts threatened Earth/sonic screwdriver/action-man Who & The Philip Hinchcliffe Alien worlds/classic SF homage/more thoughtful Who

RTD is clearly a fan of the first one, but I really hope they will move away from this. The Earth doesn't need to be endangered every other episode and the stakes don't always have to be so high - destroying reality, all of time etc. Many of the shows best episodes are in a minor key. You mentioned Fang Rock - that's a good example.

Daleks are incredibly boring and annoying. That is all.

Yes. New monsters please!
Use your imagination, Moffat.

Just watched it. It was okay but nothing special (though this still makes it one million times better than Daleks in Manhattan). But it wasn't a patch on Dalek or Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways, or even the Dalek-Cyberman ending to series 2.

I was expecting some reference to the Empty Child episodes but if there was one I missed it.

Most importantly it did annoy me a bit that the Ironsiders couldn't spot a jammy dodger when they'd been making tea all day. I'm not even sure it was a jammy dodger - it looked a little more like a jam ring from a Peak Freans selection box.

Quote: zooo @ April 17 2010, 8:06 PM BST

Ha!
There has to be SOME logic! All they had to do was mention in passing how they got there.

They did, the Daleks' Android said, something along the lines of "If I put them in a <something> Bubble" maybe we could get into space.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 17 2010, 11:22 PM BST

Because it looked cool. Stop trying to apply logic to that! It was a Spitfire in space! With lasers! :D That in itself is absurd. And brilliant.

Do you think the laser beam was 'interrupted' so that it could fire through the propellor?

:D Laughing out loud Cool

Quote: Badge @ April 19 2010, 1:40 AM BST

Most importantly it did annoy me a bit that the Ironsiders couldn't spot a jammy dodger when they'd been making tea all day. I'm not even sure it was a jammy dodger - it looked a little more like a jam ring from a Peak Freans selection box.

A Zooo mentioned, was it actually from WW2 though? Would they have had Jammy Dodgers? I assumed it was The Doctor's own biscuit of choice.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ April 19 2010, 12:23 AM BST

Daleks are incredibly boring and annoying. That is all.

I agree. The Dalek well has been visited once too often. And this didn't do anything new with them.

Quote: chipolata @ April 19 2010, 8:58 AM BST

I agree. The Dalek well has been visited once too often. And this didn't do anything new with them.

The Daleks being sneaky was pretty new-ish, I wish that had gone on longer. They're not usually shown in that way really. The Daleks gliding about, silently keeping an eye on The Doctor, that was good stuff.

But yes, I could do without another Dalek story for a while. Unless it was an absolute cracker.

I'm surprised the 'Dalek offering tea' moment hasn't yet been lauded.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the "keep buggering on" mantra. What the hell was that about?

Is Gatiss trying to outdo Davies with a new, even more explicit, gay agenda?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 19 2010, 9:46 AM BST

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the "keep buggering on" mantra. What the hell was that about?

Is Gatiss trying to outdo Davies with a new, even more explicit, gay agenda?

:D

Apparently it was something he said though.

I did think the actor playing Churchill was far too fat for the part.

Victory of the Daleks: Disappointing. Poor episode. A somewhat vacuous and slight episode. The main storyline was pretty much done with in 35 minutes.
And worse, and worst, Matt Smith showed some limitations in his abilities. He can't really do anger, can he? The episode seemed to have been written more for the tenth doctor. Presumably this little problem will be dealt with as his tenures progresses.

And do we really need another Dalek episode for the next few years? The last really good Dalek story was 'Dalek' in 2005. Hopefully they won't be back at the end of this series.