BBC Three/Four - money well spent?

I wonder what people think of the BBC's digital channels and their contribution to modern comedy. For my part, I'm disappointed. The good shows that have come from these channels - either critical or commercial successes - would have come about anyway. Lead Balloon, The Thick Of It, Little Britain and The Mighty Boosh would probably all have come about on BBC Two. Neither channel seems interested in taking genuine risks and fostering new talent. I can't think of a show on either channel which has taken my breath away with its originality or audacity.

I'm also disappointed. The digital channels provided a great opportunity for the Beeb to take some risks, away from the pressure of ratings and the mainstream mentality. But new talent has been thin on the ground. A good example is Lead Balloon - given that it stars Jack Dee, this show came with an inbuilt audience. It didn't need to start life on BBC4. This sort of programme could easily debut on BBC2 and gain an audience and the digital channels should be left for more original programmes, preferably written and performed by new talent.

Totaly agree with you guys. All these channels and no major talent. It is a waste

I have liked quite a few comedies that have been on BBC 3 though. Nighty Night, Annually Retentive, 15 Storeys High, Little Britain etc.

Something like Lead Balloon could indeed have begun on a terrestrial channel but a lot of the other shows have featured unknown writers and cast members.

To answer the thread title..No..its a shame though because as others have said they could easily comission really good new talent to create shows on those channels, but instead they spawn off trash like Tittybangbang and Mighty Boosh and then even the established comedians like Rob Brydon makes a show like Anually Retentive which totally rips off The Larry Sanders Show and Jack Dee who makes Lead Balloon and totally rips of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

The Thick Of It and 15 Storeys High are the best programmes those spin off channels have produced but its a shame they dont comission more shows like that.

Calling the Mighty Boosh trash is slightly unwarranted don't you think? Eevn if you don't like it, it has been very popular and thus can be deemed a success for the channel.

Yeah Martin, stop trashing the Boosh! Its fantastically good in my view, one of those rare comedies you can actually love, as opposed to just laugh at and admire.

I love the Mighty Boosh-if you dare trash it again I will not be responsible for my actions!hehe youre entitled to your opinion of course but that was way harsh

Sorry...I should have said 'in my opinion'. Okay Julian Barret is a pretty good comic actor, but the Boosh is just pure whimsy with no real jokes or proper plots, mentioning the word 'monkey' and 'badger' and stuff like that I don't find funny, and it's fanbase has now mainly been taken over by 'Noel Fielding obsessive' teenage girls.

hehe badger-now youve set me off! and Im a teenage girl who although sees why Noel gets mobbed, sees him as a comic actor rather than just easy on the eye. His silly facial expressions in direct contrast to Barrats work a treat for me!

The Mighty Boosh is indeed trash.

IMO.

It's OK, not really my cup of tea but I can see why people like it. However, calling it 'very popular' is overdoing it somewhat. It was a cult success.

Personally I don't think the digital channels have been too bad. I agree that they could make more use of British talent, but I've seen some decent progs on both. Still streets ahead of ITV and 5 (but who isn't?).

there is a few gems on these channels it's just the bbc want to compete with itv at everything ie. reality t.v, now i hate reality t.v but i know that itv are good at it so why dosn't the bbc focus on its norm and stop ploughing out tat

The problem with Mighty Boosh was they put it on at really bizarre times. Either 6 in the afternoon (?) or 2.47 in the morning, so it was difficult to get a settled audience. Most people didn't know when it was on! It is cult, but their last tour was selling huge theatres around the country. It is a popular show, given the right time slot it could have been a much bigger success on the TV.

I liked 15 Storys as well. I also liked Ideal, don't if anyone saw it, quite dark.