Comedy Shuffle Page 3

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 24, 2007, 2:21 PM

If their script doesn't stand up to adults performing it then, imo, it's not good enough.

So by that logic, something written for one person doesn't work with another, and so it's bad? Bollocks. It's all in context to that performer/s situation, style, persona, whatever. Jack Dee's material wouldn't work if Bill Bailey performed it, certainly not in the same way. The Young Ones really wouldn't have worked had it been played by OAPs. Context.

Phew. That's what I wanted to say, but for the life of me couldn't.

Quote: Britcom Barry @ November 23, 2007, 7:02 PM

I just wanted to punch the kid with glasses, I'm I wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGlWhJUBrwI

ugh, me too, this is sickening.

Quote: Aaron @ November 24, 2007, 4:26 PM

So by that logic, something written for one person doesn't work with another, and so it's bad? Bollocks. It's all in context to that performer/s situation, style, persona, whatever. Jack Dee's material wouldn't work if Bill Bailey performed it, certainly not in the same way. The Young Ones really wouldn't have worked had it been played by OAPs. Context.

Well then they have a novelty that's not going to last very long haven't they.

And I'm not talking about individual performers as you use in your example. There are a range of different performers in their group who obviously play different characters. I'm referring to the lack of funny enough lines in the their script. If it SOLELY rests on the performers age/appearance/accent/sex then I don't think it's good enough material. For example Catherine Tate's granny character is funny once, but the joke that an old lady turns nasty and swears wears very thin quite quickly.

But i think the problem here may be Comedy Shuffle only allows a very short slot to each performance and therefore doesn't allow each act time to shine properly. Maybe these children do have better material than I saw on Comedy Shuffle but to say I found them funny only because they were children is either patronising, a bit daft or doesn't say much about their act.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 24, 2007, 7:20 PM

but to say I found them funny only because they were children is either patronising, a bit daft or doesn't say much about their act.

Did anyone actually say that though, to be fair?

Quote: zooo @ November 23, 2007, 12:22 AM

Yeah I don't remember liking anything else.
The little kid saying 'f**king' made up for it though, to be honest.

LOL. :D

I took this to mean you thought it was funny because a kid said 'f**king'.
You may not have meant this. But I think that was an easy mistake to make. ;)

Hee! Fair enough.

But, just to make clear :
The 'anything else' meant the other acts on the show, and the kid saying f**king was just my favourite line of the kids' bit.

:)

This is complete shite...but maybe I shouldn't have watched a documentary about Belsen before turning it on...

I didn't like this episode either infact I was wondering why the audience was laughing. The alien who wants to be a millionaire may have been the worst sketch I have ever seen.

Watched the whole episode expecting to see Brenden Burns and he wasn't on!:-(

The scottish puppets were good, and a couple of other things but mainly drivel. It was like being at an open mike night. For students.

That isn't always a bad thing of course.

Yes, I liked the Scottish puppets too.
And the woman from Flight of The Conchords who turned into cardboard, that was excellent.

Watching this now, caught it purely by chance. The puppet thing was good, but that Superbarry thing was just bad. Something about a footballer now. I'm guessing he's not really a footballer.

Kids were ... Weird. I smiled on a couple of occasions, but pretty weak.

Cardboard thing just dull and pointless.

The husband and wife ghosty thing is weird. Just ... Weird. I know why I've not heard of any of these people before.

Get in My Car bit alright, the instructor lady strangely attractive.

Louisa measuring lady is, I'm pretty sure, Magda from Lead Balloon. Pity it's not funny.

And I can't be bothered to watch any more. In short, it's not funny. This puts Up the Elephant and Round the Castle on the same pedestal as Fawlty Towers.

Oh, it finished anyway. Well that Dr Cocacolamcdonald's guy was equally shite. Tittybangbang now though! \o/

Quote: Aaron @ December 2, 2007, 12:51 AM

The husband and wife ghosty thing is weird. Just ... Weird. I know why I've not heard of any of these people before.

Really? I've seen that sketch on TV about five times now!