How many of you have done an M.A in Comedy Writing, either at Falmouth or elsewhere? Page 4

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th April 2023, 7:11 PM

Oddly enough I was just discussing with my daughter why a lot of commercial artist wear predominantly black at their shows - worried about being judge about what they wear rather than their art.

Quote: Firkin @ 14th April 2023, 7:23 PM

Oddly enough I was just discussing with my daughter why a lot of commercial artist wear all black at their shows - worried about being judge about what they wear rather than their art.

Doesn't seem to affect Grayson Perry (can't stand him)

Quote: Hildegard @ 14th April 2023, 7:24 PM

Doesn't seem to affect Grayson Perry (can't stand him)

Or Vivian Westwood - but shock appeal is another way to go.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th April 2023, 6:25 PM

My daughter's a penny-less painter!

I've just checked her out. She only graduated 18 months ago and she's already selling. She'll be fine 😂

Quote: Hildegard @ 15th April 2023, 12:02 PM

I've just checked her out. She only graduated 18 months ago and she's already selling. She'll be fine 😂

Here's hoping.

Quote: Hildegard @ 14th April 2023, 7:17 PM

Ask your daughter if she values her art more after someone has seen it. I'm not talking about the masses, I'm talking about people other than the maker.

You have a point. But can I ask you , what's more important when people view your art - is it getting platitudes from your audience or insight ? If my daughter does a piece designed to shock, she want's someone to be shocked not say "that's nice". Surely you want someone to understand your art , rather than just be polite ? Same with a joke - getting a room full of strangers to laugh is surely better validation than getting friends to laugh by repeating a joke you heard on TV ? Hence studying the rules of comedy might lead to repeating someone else's joke , rather than innovation ?

Quote: Firkin @ 16th April 2023, 2:38 PM

You have a point. But can I ask you , what's more important when people view your art - is it getting platitudes from your audience or insight ? If my daughter does a piece designed to shock, she want's someone to be shocked not say "that's nice". Surely you want someone to understand your art , rather than just be polite ? Same with a joke - getting a room full of strangers to laugh is surely better validation than getting friends to laugh by repeating a joke you heard on TV ? Hence studying the rules of comedy might lead to repeating someone else's joke , rather than innovation ?

Way back at the beginning I had a piece on show and I was invigilating that day. A woman came up to me, really excited, and said she loved my piece and it resonated with her because it was obviously about xyz. What she thought it was about had absolutely no bearing on what was in my own mind when I made it but, that day, I realised it didn't matter. The joy on her face was enough for me. From then on I never told people what my work was 'about', I let them own their own feelings about it. The fact that it said anything to them at all is all that mattered to me because once it's out in the world you don't own it anymore.

Also, we're not learning rules to comedy, we're learning the structure of comedic storytelling.

Prior to getting my MA in comedy writing at Foulmouth University, I did a BA in drama and surprised everybody at the presentation ceremony by walking onto the stage dressed and made up exactly like the character in the pic below.
(Yes, you guessed it. I did my degree at Greenwich University.)

Quote: Hildegard @ 16th April 2023, 4:12 PM

Way back at the beginning I had a piece on show and I was invigilating that day. A woman came up to me, really excited, and said she loved my piece and it resonated with her because it was obviously about xyz. What she thought it was about had absolutely no bearing on what was in my own mind when I made it but, that day, I realised it didn't matter. The joy on her face was enough for me. From then on I never told people what my work was 'about', I let them own their own feelings about it. The fact that it said anything to them at all is all that mattered to me because once it's out in the world you don't own it anymore.

Also, we're not learning rules to comedy, we're learning the structure of comedic storytelling.

That's a nice anecdote Hildegard, thanks for sharing. So if I understand correctly your validation is connecting with someone, and brining them joy/relief ? My kids got joy out of Halloween and going on scary rides at fun parks - personally I've had enough horror in my life without having to pay for it, so I would hold their coats and enjoy the fact they didn't find it scary. Your comedy course sounds helpful - maybe you could encourage alison blunderland to join you ? She presents as young and keen to learn .... maybe she is ?

Quote: alison blunderland @ 16th April 2023, 6:05 PM

Prior to getting my MA in comedy writing at Foulmouth University, I did a BA in drama and surprised everybody at the presentation ceremony by walking onto the stage dressed and made up exactly like the character in the pic below.
(Yes, you guessed it. I did my degree at Greenwich University.)

Alison I'd rather see any original art you may or may not have. My constructive feedback is I did find you occasionaly funny in the saucy postcard thread, as it was a bit like watching Anthony Jeselnik roasting Donald Trump. It is the elephant's grave yard of humour on here, imo, full of reminders that micro messaging white male supremacy was innocent fun for most people back in the "good old days" and still is innocent fun for the innocent. Nothing wrong with that. But not so innocent when clearly used along with lots of other "micro messages" to scare people off forums who aren't the same as you, which is what you also appear to be trying to do, imo. Happy to agree to disagree. Not interested in a mass - debate on this. btw I'd love for you to become a supporter of this site.

**Edited for brevity.

Hello everyone,
I'd like to address Firkin's belief that if somebody asks a question on a comedy forum, they should only receive serious answers and any joke or comedic response is therefore trolling.
My own opinion is that a comedy forum is meant to be a place where people can, if and when they wish, come and express themselves in a lighthearted and humorous manner. I believe it is perfectly acceptable to provide both serious and comedic answers to a question, as long as the joke response is not intended to hurt individual readers or any marginalised group.
In fact, I believe a mix of serious and comedic responses can often make for a more entertaining and engaging discussion. As long as the joke answer is relevant to the topic at hand, it can add a lot of value to the conversation.
This thread is about comedy and more expressly the writing of comedy and, more expressly still, the obtaining of university degrees in the writing of comedy so is it really unacceptable that someone should write a comedy contribution (or two) to this thread based upon the learning and/or practising of comedy at university? I hope not. I really, really hope not.
I encourage all of you to express yourselves on this forum in whatever manner you see fit, whether that be through serious analysis, a witty one-liner, a funny many-liner or a cartoon or funny picture. Let's have serious discussions and let's have discussions that are fun and light-hearted but at all times let's make some sort of effort to be kind to each other.
Sorry if I've bored you (again).