How many of you have done an M.A in Comedy Writing, either at Falmouth or elsewhere? Page 2

Quote: beaky @ 6th April 2023, 1:48 PM

I think a more pertinent question would be if anyone has found an MA in comedy writing helpful in getting anything broadcast or published?

Feel free to ask it, then.
I'm just wondering how many of us are here.

Quote: beaky @ 6th April 2023, 1:48 PM

I think a more pertinent question would be if anyone has found an MA in comedy writing helpful in getting anything broadcast or published?

MA's are funny things.
My worry about a comedy writing MA is that you're surrounded by people who've failed to get anything off the ground - so not exactly an inspiring cohort.
My daughter is doing an MA in Environmental Stage Design - a small group with degrees in Fine Art, Drama, Architectural etc all are wanting to expand and diversify their skills - and it's very hands on, in a way you couldn't replicate on your own.
It's also REALLY specific in it;s scope - rather than a general intro into the craft.
She's finding it incredibly exciting and is about to put on her first show.
So, nothing against MA's - all for them, in fact - but just wonder what a Comedy Writing Course is going to bring.

EDIT:
Just looked it up.
It's bloody online!
£12.5 k !!
Still at least you won't be surrounded by failed writers.

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th April 2023, 2:02 PM

MA's are funny things.
My worry about a comedy writing MA is that you're surrounded by people who've failed to get anything off the ground - so not exactly an inspiring cohort.
My daughter is doing an MA in Environmental Stage Design - a small group with degrees in Fine Art, Drama, Architectural etc all are wanting to expand and diversify their skills - and it's very hands on, in a way you couldn't replicate on your own.
It's also REALLY specific in it;s scope - rather than a general intro into the craft.
She's finding it incredibly exciting and is about to put on her first show.
So, nothing against MA's - all for them, in fact - but just wonder what a Comedy Writing Course is going to bring.

EDIT:
Just looked it up.
It's bloody online!
£12.5 k !!
Still at least you won't be surrounded by failed writers.

I replied to this and now I can't see it!

Yes, it's online - why is that a problem? We still get 'face-to-face' tutoring via zoom etc. Those of us who live close to each other meet up too. We also have meet ups, where invited producers and writers come and network.

I can't work out if you're saying that a comedy writing M.A is just a generalised intro to the craft, but it's anything but. It's very specific and what the course is doing is allowing us to create a portfolio of work to take out into the industry. The module that's just coming to an end is to create a pilot for a 30 minutes sitcom/dramedy. Previous modules had us create a comedy short film and another was to write a pitch for a 30 minute sitcom. It's 100% hands on - no theory, all doing.
The cohort isn't made up of failed writers and I don't know why you'd think it is. It's made up of various people, some of whom already have writing credits, some of whom have comedy acting credits (like myself) - it's a broad range of people.
The course is run by a working producer and the tutors are all working writers - some in high profile comedy shows. We have frequent introductions to producers and other writers.
What it's given me is structure (and a portfolio of work). I'm not in a position to say to my family that I'm going to be ignoring them for a couple of m months while I write a sitcom pilot but because I have an imposed deadline I can call it work (and get away with it).

Anyway, what I'm interested in is how many of us who are doing/have done a comedy M.A are using the forums...

P.S Has anyone ever told you you're too positive? ;)

The failed writers bit was rude.
Sorry
It's just that of all the skillsets, writers - especially for big & small screen - are the most routinely 'milked'.
It seems like a lot of money for a part-time course, that's all.

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th April 2023, 4:04 PM

The failed writers bit was rude.
Sorry
It's just that of all the skillsets, writers - especially for big & small screen - are the most routinely 'milked'.
It seems like a lot of money for a part-time course, that's all.

You get the same input as a full time course, just over two years instead of one. It's handy for people who are trying to fit it in around ordinary life like jobs and family.
It's honed how and what I write and given me the confidence to approach producers etc. Maybe in a few years there will be some statistics about how many people have found it helpful in getting commissioned or broadcast but not everyone doing the MA wants to go into it professionally anyway. Personally, I think long form comedy is suffering from people assuming stand ups can transfer their writing skills to sitcom when most of them seemingly can't but that's just a personal gripe. Maybe creating more writers with long-form skills can only be a positive thing? .

Quote: Hildegard @ 6th April 2023, 4:16 PM

Personally, I think long form comedy is suffering from people assuming stand ups can transfer their writing skills to sitcom when most of them seemingly can't but that's just a personal gripe. Maybe creating more writers with long-form skills can only be a positive thing? .

Couldn't agree more.
But not too many more writers, eh?
😀

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th April 2023, 4:32 PM

Couldn't agree more.
😀

Well, ideally only one ;)

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th April 2023, 4:32 PM

Couldn't agree more.
😀

Beaky's shown the way, now we're all looking to you for the next sitcom. 😉

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th April 2023, 4:40 PM

Beaky's shown the way, now we're all looking to you for the next sitcom. 😉

Sitcom's not really my thing.
But you'll be the first to hear, promise.

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th April 2023, 4:55 PM

Sitcom's not really my thing.
But you'll be the first to hear, promise.

Aww, come on - it must be in the blood. 🙂

Fine with comedy!
I was just adhering to the rather strict definition of 'Sitcom' that seems to be received wisdom on this site.
😇

There are plenty of comedy script bashers on here. (or have been) but it has long been a virtual dead end (MA course or not)
If you Hildegard are getting to know producers etc - that's the path you need to tread and nurture.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 7th April 2023, 9:41 AM

There are plenty of comedy script bashers on here. (or have been) but it has long been a virtual dead end (MA course or not)
If you Hildegard are getting to know producers etc - that's the path you need to tread and nurture.

Yeah, it's all very well structured to be an industry-standard training. I'd be very surprised if it didn't give the people studying it an edge on contacting producers etc. Also, I'm an actor and I'm not backwards at coming forwards with producers on the things I work on :D

If you have the time and money for it, why not, especially if you get to meet active prods. It may be a clever shortcut to all that networking they say is vital these days for getting yourself known to the industry controllers. I'd be interested to know what the some of the content is like, eg. is there a slant towards modern non studio single camera comedy (-drama), is trad studio shot sitcom with audience track given any study time and how much is sitcom even a part of the course. If it's mainly stand up and compere based stuff then it wouldn't be for me even if I did have the time & dosh.

Personally, I think long form comedy is suffering from people assuming stand ups can transfer their writing skills to sitcom when most of them seemingly can't but that's just a personal gripe.

Not just the personal gripe of yours, but of many, if you read these boards and other articles on the current sorry state of narrative TV comedy.

Personally, I think long form comedy is suffering from people assuming stand ups can transfer their writing skills to sitcom when most of them seemingly can't

American stand ups have done extremely well with sitcoms; Seinfeld, Rosanne, Ellan, Bob Newhart, Louie etc... you've got a character you know already works. Never understood why the UK never did as well at that. Any ideas ?

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th April 2023, 2:02 PM

MA's are funny things.
£12.5 k !!

This one should be funny, the price is a joke for a start. Considering how many Art/Media students never use their degrees, it still looks like evening classes for the wealthy. When I went to Uni, the only cartooning course I could find was in France and my famous relative was a government artist (she drew the dole). My daughter's got an unconditional offer in an Art course that makes money, but she turns up to things on time which apparently puts you ahead of the creative crowed