Breaking the fourth wall and other stylistic effects Page 3

Worked well in Malcolm in the Middle. Bunch of cartoons do it well; Rango, the Simpsons, Family Guy.

Quote: Aaron @ 18th March 2023, 6:35 PM

They did it quite explicitly in, I think, Roseanne, in a very effective and knowing way.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that. I never really bothered with Roseanne, but there was a bit where a character returned and was patently played by a different actress. Rossanne made a quip about 'Haven't you changed?'

Roseanne was ground breaking when it first came out, but she lost weight as time went on, metaphorically.

Happened to catch the start of S1 E1 Filthy, Rich and Catflap, and the very first scene was Rik in bed talking to camera

They do it a lot in Crapflap. As I said before, it was nowhere near as effective as in The Young Ones and felt like a desperate attempt to liven up a dull script. I'm amazed how kindly posterity has treated the show.

I always liked the way Rene always chatted to the viewers at the start of each episode of Allo! Allo!

"You are probably wondering why I am etc etc .."

Quote: lofthouse @ 23rd March 2023, 6:00 PM

I always liked the way Rene always chatted to the viewers at the start of each episode of Allo! Allo!

Probably the oldest form of 4th wall-breaking.
Rene takes the role of the 'Greek Chorus', explaining to the audience where we are in the plot, and what has lead to the current situation.
So, about 2 ½ thousand years old!

Very true

Usually he would then finish his little speech and go into the back room to try and shag one of the barmaids

Cool!

Quote: lofthouse @ 24th March 2023, 10:01 AM

Usually he would then finish his little speech and go into the back room to try and shag one of the barmaids

I think a fair amount of that went on in Greece too.
😄

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th March 2023, 9:29 AM

Probably the oldest form of 4th wall-breaking.
Rene takes the role of the 'Greek Chorus', explaining to the audience where we are in the plot, and what has lead to the current situation.
So, about 2 ½ thousand years old!

You have a good memory.

...and, as it turns out, at the start of episode one of The Larkins (1958), now being repeated on Sunday afternoons on TPTV. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35948/

And Citizen James, for that matter.

Quote: lofthouse @ 23rd March 2023, 6:00 PM

A perfect example of both how well it can work in sitcom and how it can backfire in turning some viewers immediately off the prog before it's barely started. Allo Allo was a good sitcom which alienated some potential viewers with this permanent artificial opening, which just wasn't their cup of tea, prefering realism.

Back then its use was still fairly common, hence its good ratings and long run, but AA hardly gets a mention now or a mainstream showing because this interruption of realism is so out of fashion.

Miranda's full blown wall (and wind) breaking seems to have killed its use completely, so much did its haters hate it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th March 2023, 10:33 AM

Allo Allo was a good sitcom which alienated some potential viewers with this permanent artificial opening, which just wasn't their cup of tea, prefering realism.

Not sure lovers of realism would have been glued to 'Allo, 'Allo

Quote: Lazzard @ 27th March 2023, 10:50 AM

Not sure lovers of realism would have been glued to 'Allo, 'Allo

Yeah it's almost certainly the daftest , most ridiculous sitcom I've ever seen (which is why I really like it)

German officers cramming sausages down their trousers that may or may not contain portraits of big boobed fallen women, exploding Christmas puddings, flying nuns etc

"The World At War" it ain't!