The Larkins (1958)

Has anyone watched this and what are your thoughts on it? I got the series for Christmas and near the end of series 1 and really enjoy it, Peggy Mount is a treat in this. Very nice sitcom, probably the oldest sitcom I have in my collection!

There is also a film worth watching Inn for Trouble.

Next year perhaps Santa will bring you the board game:

I'll check out the film

Quote: Wheel @ 25th December 2020, 2:34 PM

I'll check out the film

My review is on this page.......................... :)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35193/10/#P1212366

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th December 2020, 3:49 PM

My review is on this page.......................... :)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35193/10/#P1212366

Nice review! Sounds like a fabulous cast!

Not a fan of Barbara Mitchell in The Larkins though, She played a character who was 20 years older than she actually was in real life, they've should have got an older actress for her role in this, I don't find her believable at all, as she was in her late 20s early 30s when the series was made and I think the character was meant to be 50 years old, she had a daughter in the series as well. She was brilliant in For the Love of Ada, she wasn't great in this.

You're welcome, and so glad you liked it. :)

Started the 5th series and I must say the quality of the series has dropped massively since they changed the situation and a few characters aren't there anymore, the 5th series is rather poor compared to the first 4 series.

Just started watching the box set that was bought for me for Christmas. Into the rotation it goes.

Into the second series, which is getting funnier. "Haul For One" about a football pools win was hysterical. ?

And in "Gift Horse Power", another very funny one - ITMA Sam Kydd (!) in a small part

David Kossoff and Peggy Mount superb as the warring husband and wife

Wilfrid Brambell turned up as a rent collector in Series 3 episode "Home Win"

The TV series is coming to Talking Pictures TV on Sunday afternoons, starting next Sunday (26 March) 2.30pm (which is then followed by The Blue Lamp, in which PC George Dixon is shot by Dirk Bogarde before then going on to make a further 432 posthumous appearances over the ensuing 27 years).

A lovely sitcom. I hope people take to it.

H.E. Bates is one of my favourite writers, particularly his short stories. He seems forgotten now, apart from his Larkin family. He had an abiding love of the English countryside, which fitted well with me when I discovered his work, living in a gamekeeper's cottage in South Derbyshire pretending to be a writer, a world away now.

Quote: beaky @ 20th March 2023, 9:03 AM

H.E. Bates is one of my favourite writers, particularly his short stories. He seems forgotten now, apart from his Larkin family. He had an abiding love of the English countryside, which fitted well with me when I discovered his work, living in a gamekeeper's cottage in South Derbyshire pretending to be a writer, a world away now.

Different Larkins (see photo at top of page).

Really? Showing my ignorance there. I assumed it was a version of The Darling Buds of May. But the same name, Larkin? That must have been deliberate.