What's gone wrong (or right) with sitcoms? Page 5

Quote: Aaron @ 15th March 2023, 11:59 AM

A cultural shift needs to happen within broadcasters. Hits don't magic from nowhere. Many of the most lauded sitcoms had lacklustre first (and sometimes second) series. Some only narrowly scraped a recommission. Del Boy fell through the bar in year 9 (Series 6). They need to give comedies the support and the chance to become huge successes.

(I'm not disagreeing, just adding the point.)

I agree. They also need to cast the net wider to find new talent.

Quote: Aaron @ 15th March 2023, 11:59 AM

Which is the chicken and which is the egg? New Faces, Opportunity Knocks, Come Dancing - all were big hits alongside popular mainstream comedy in decades past.

Well, Come Dancing wasn't a talent show, it didn't feature members of the public etc - it was a sort of bizarre sport!
And the other were popular but not as all-conquering as the current crop - filed under 'variety' probably.

A cultural shift needs to happen within broadcasters. Hits don't magic from nowhere. Many of the most lauded sitcoms had lacklustre first (and sometimes second) series. Some only narrowly scraped a recommission. Del Boy fell through the bar in year 9 (Series 6). They need to give comedies the support and the chance to become huge successes.

But I don't think that cultural change will come from within - it'll need some sort of outside 'force'.
If - for instance - Peter Kay was minded to produce and star in a straight-down-the-line sitcom (I'm pretty sure he wouldn't. by the way) i think space would be found.

I suppose it comes back to chicken or egg:

To such extent that those formats have changed from prior decades, do those behemoth talent/contest shows fill a gap sitcom has already vacated, or do they push sitcom out by way of their cheapness, ease of production, and high returns?

Quote: Hildegard @ 15th March 2023, 9:47 AM

Which sitcom are you referring to?

I typed it in a bit of a rush but I also thought the news of the cancelling of The Witchfinder being released yesterday on here would be enough, my bad, as I don't say.