Non-comedy films Page 7

Both Blade Runners are Noirs IMHO
Plus several of The Cohen Brorhers output.
And lot of David Lynch - Mulholland Drive particularly - though it is bonkers.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 23rd July 2023, 12:11 PM

That's the colour Jack Nicholson version I take it? Yes, that's one I keep meaning to get hold of and watch again as a JN fan. Think I've only seen it once.

Memento, that's the backwards run film? No couldn't get along with that at all myself, hurt my brain trying to work it out. I'm sure it was probably noir, if a more experimental type, but I couldn't stay with it to find out.

I was thinking of the nineteen forties Postman Always Rings Twice. Double Indemnity from the same period is good too.

Memento is a film you have to think about, but the DVD has an option where you can watch it backwards. I haven't yet but will one day.

Body Heat is a great noir too.

It's Sisu (a Finnish word) and it runs for 1 Hour 31 minutes.

Yeah I still have an unopened VHS of M..Drive I've read loads about but still have yet to watch, if can get my old videoplayer going again. Yes Lynch is very noir, I give you Blue Velvet then. OTT? Clearly inspired the Cohen Bros.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 23rd July 2023, 12:22 PM

Clearly inspired the Cohen Bros.

Not so sure I'd agree with that.
The Cohens had only had Blood Simple out by then, which has a very different aesthetic.
I see Blue Velvet as a prequel to Twin Peaks (TV)

Blood Simple is an amazing film. The Chinese remake, A Simple Noodle Story,is oddly entertaining too.

Another good modern noir is Bound.

David Lynch. <3

Is Se7en a noir? It's very moody and dark.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 23rd July 2023, 10:44 AM

I watched Sisu - and all I can say is 'what a film.

😁

Sisu.

SISU.

Yes Se7en is what I would term Gothic Noir, infact it is so much so I really struggle with it. I know it's a very popular film but the (overdone???) dark and dimly lit sets, against constant grey skies and rain, and dense foreboding tone just kept reminding of the later Batman films, which are great, but probably not what the director wanted me to think of.

The Nice Guys and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang are pretty great modern noirs. Funny too, which not many noirs are.

Oppenheimer
Best film I've seen for ages.
Took a good 15 mins to get over the impact.

Or maybe a bit longer for the Japs.

Aye, there is that.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 3rd August 2023, 7:12 AM

Quite.
Something your left in no doubt about by the end.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 3rd August 2023, 7:12 AM

🤣