Non-comedy films

A thread for (non-comedy) films you've seen - be it at the flicks, on the box or some other format - that you'd either like to recommend, give the thumbs down to, or whatever.
And for people to vehemently disagree with your choices, obviously.

I'll start with a re-post from another thread.

Just re-watched this.
So good.
Steve Carrell is brilliant - and it's story we need reminding of again & again.

It is very good, and maybe Adam McKay's last great film before he got a bit heavy handed (although Vice wasn't bad).

That said, I can't help but feel you've started your non-comedy film thread with a comedy film.

You reckon?
It's got funny lines, for sure, but that's just the nature of the characters and their high-octane work environment, no?
You can bet your bottom dollar (appropriate) that if I'd put it in the "Comedy Film" thread I'd have got a deal of stick.

I think IMDB lists it as a comedy. And I'd say it's much more comedic than a film like Margin Call, which deals with the same area (and is also very good). Plus Margot Robbie in a bubble bath explaing complex financial shenanigans is not something you'd normally get in a drama.

Well..... they list it as Biography, Comedy & Drama.
But fair point.

I see, I get the picture. The old Masonic handshake and you get a film thread, which I was not allowed, and to rub salt into the wound, ,make the most of your new found foot in the door with the old "Management Approved"

I'll mention a new movie that I saw recently
I don't think it will be troubling any top movies of all time list but it was a fun watch
Bullet Train
A bit Guy Ritchie meets Kill Bill on a train

Someone else has recommended that.
"Bit oif fun" was his review - something we could all do with.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th October 2022, 2:50 PM

I see, I get the picture. The old Masonic handshake and you get a film thread, which I was not allowed, and to rub salt into the wound, ,make the most of your new found foot in the door with the old "Management Approved"

I think it's because it's a thread, not a forum.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 30th October 2022, 3:21 PM

I'll mention a new movie that I saw recently
I don't think it will be troubling any top movies of all time list but it was a fun watch
Bullet Train
A bit Guy Ritchie meets Kill Bill on a train

Ooh, Brad Pitt and Sandra Bullock. I am sold.

Anyone seen Elvis? It's right good.

It's very good.
And I have to say I had low expectations- but it was a blast .
Captured the music and the times, but with real bravura, I thought.
Hanks was a revelation.

It'll have its work cut out beating the 1979 Elvis starring Kurt Russell as him.

Quote: chipolata @ 31st October 2022, 1:34 PM

It'll have its work cut out beating the 1979 Elvis starring Kurt Russell as him.

As an extravaganza, it beats it hands down.
As a bio-pic, maybe not.

Sticking with my theme - and being reminded of it by Chip - I watched Margin Call again.
Another cracking film.
I think I shall complete the, in my head at least, Triumvirate with Glengarry Glen Ross
Exquisite writing with a star turn from Jack Lemmon - and another lesson in the destructive nature of greed.

Glengarry Glenn Ross is great, and worth it just for the scene where Alec Baldwin stomps on everyone.

Talking of Baldwin, I watched Miami Blues at the weekend. Very dark and funny, and maybe Baldwin's best performance.

Not sure if there are any non-comedy films I can think of that I like.

The closest would be Catch 22 which I find very funny in places.