Complete DVD series?

Why don't companies release complete series of less popular shows, rather than releasing one series at a time? For example, the first series of Sean's Show was recently released on DVD. There were only two series, so wouldn't it have been far better to release both series at the same time as part of one comprehensive set? Because I'd wager that the first series of Sean's Show doesn't sell that well and the second series never gets released.

It's very annoying. As I doubt there will be more DVD releases of Second Thoughts, Watching, Surgical Spirit or Faith In The Future.

Time Gentlemen Please is possibly the best example of this. They released only the first "volume" of series one. That's six out of 24 episodes. If anyone would like to point me in the direction of whoever made that decision, I will gladly punch them in the face. Repeatedly. Utterly, utterly stupid.

Quote: chipolata @ October 31, 2007, 11:51 AM

Why don't companies release complete series of less popular shows, rather than releasing one series at a time?

There's two reasons for this...

1. Cost of the rights. Distributors have to buy each series seperately. Therefore the companies tend to 'test the waters' with just one season and wait for the sales figures before deciding whether to invest in the others. This also explains why sadly so many series out there are only half-released (Universal Playback... grrrr!)

2. Profit. Even if you have all the series purchased, selling each series seperately over a period of time makes more money. The prime example of this is Mr Bean - if you bought each of the releases as they came out it'd have set you back about £100 in total. The complete boxset is finally coming out next year (See Amazon product listing)... with an RRP of just £35. (Although that's still a rip-off - the American boxset which has lots of additional extras too is RRP at just $40!).

So in summary (most) DVD companies are bastards.

Quote: Mark @ November 1, 2007, 3:00 PM

2. Profit. Even if you have all the series purchased, selling each series seperately over a period of time makes more money.

That's true for popular series like Blackadder etc, but for small cult shows it seems to me it would make more econonic sense to lump them all together in one comprehensive package that would appeal to the comedy completists and nerds (i.e, the sort of people who use this website). Big Train did this, releasing both series together in one nifty box...

Although I agree with your bastards comment.

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that it's pointless buying individual series of British comedies, as it makes far more financial sense to wait until they've stopped doing the show and release the entire series in one boxset. For this reason I'm going to hold off buying The IT Crowd, Not Going Out and Gavin and Stacy until they release jumbo boxsets in four or five years time.

Yeah usually it goes like this

Series One - £19.99
Series Two - £19.99
Series One and Two - £34.99
Series Three - £19.99
Series One, Two and Three - £44.99
Series Four - £19.99
Series One to Four - £54.99

This carries on forever until the series ends.

Quote: chipolata @ November 5 2007, 10:09 AM GMT

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that it's pointless buying individual series of British comedies, as it makes far more financial sense to wait until they've stopped doing the show and release the entire series in one boxset. For this reason I'm going to hold off buying The IT Crowd, Not Going Out and Gavin and Stacy until they release jumbo boxsets in four or five years time.

That's very sensible - I wish I could do that too, but don't think I've got that patience!

The Complete Gavin and Stacey should be out next year if their promise of only making one more Xmas Special stands.

What's really annoying is when you buy the complete collection - only to find the distributor brings out the same thing again a couple of years later, but with more bonus extras! This happened to me and my Monty Python DVDs.

I mentioned this many times before but I'm still waiting for Smack The Pony to be released instead of the best of. I've had to buy the first two series via Germany and there seems to be no sign of the third series and specials. I would of thought that most of the Green Wing fans would buy it if it did get released.

And how long was it before they released The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer to DVD? And when it did go on sale it had no extras and the videos had twenty minutes of extra episode material.

Like everrybody else in the Western world, I'm still waiting for Gary Shandling to stop being an arse and release The Larry Sanders Show properly, rather than best ofs. I'd also like to know what's happened to The Thick Of It's Christmas Specials - they've still yet to materialise.

Quote: Mark @ May 30 2008, 8:32 AM BST

What's really annoying is when you buy the complete collection - only to find the distributor brings out the same thing again a couple of years later, but with more bonus extras! This happened to me and my Monty Python DVDs.

...This happened to me and my M*A*S*H DVDs. As soon as the last individual season pack was released, they (Fox) issued a complete set of MASH with 2(!) bonus DVDs. Imagine the uproar in MASH fan sites.
I eventually grabbed... the two discs elsewhere. I mean - I did feel cheated, after buying all individual DVD packs. But oh well, that's business, it has little ethics :)

I'm facing this waiting for the boxset dilemma again over Still Game. WH Smiths are flogging each series for £8 but I'm wondering if I should hold out for a complete series boxset. I'm not even sure if they're still making the show, are they?

Just buy them. I don't remember a 2entertain box set which had anything other than a bit of card surrounding the separate releases.

Do you know how many series there are, and if they are still making them?

Quote: chipolata @ June 5 2008, 1:27 PM BST

Do you know how many series there are, and if they are still making them?

To date, six.

It's yet to be seen if a seventh series will be made though - Kiernan and Hemphill have revealed that the 2007 Hogmanny special "will be the last show for the foreseeable future". The creators have decided to put the future of the show 'on hold' so that it doesn't outstay its welcome and so that they can concentrate on other projects. The show may return one day though - the other stars are certainly keen for more episodes.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/still_game/