Vintage adverts Page 35

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th August 2022, 8:55 AM

One of the things I feel eternal guilt for. I wanted Lego for Christmas and my Dad probably thought this was more interesting and bought me this instead. I never wanted it and could never get any interest for it. It probably cost a fair bit too.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th August 2022, 10:26 PM

One of the things I feel eternal guilt for. I wanted Lego for Christmas and my Dad probably thought this was more interesting and bought me this instead. I never wanted it and could never get any interest for it. It probably cost a fair bit too.

You might have been happier playing with 4 candles.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th August 2022, 10:26 PM

I've told a similar story on here, I got a Meccano set from my Dad and I couldn't work out what you were supposed to do with it. I liked ready made toys, not building things. It sat in the box and led to much regret for me later, on several levels. Yes they were expensive sets, being metal.

I really liked Herc's Meccano advert (apart from the sexism obviously but hey-ho) and I was amazed to see the top set cost 450 shillings (or £22.50) in those days.
I went to the Bank of England website to find out just how expensive it was.
It seems £22.50 in 1932 was worth £1105 in today's money.
If a boy got that for Christmas, what would his sister get? A stable FULL of ponies?
Lucky girl whoever she was!
I'm still in shock.

There's no way sprogs in the 50s could afford the multiple sets it would take to build that Tower Bridge, let alone pre-war - you would have had to been the son of a VERY rich parent(s).

THIS, is about the money/standard I would reach........................

They have 'big boys Meccano these days. It's called uni-strut.
All tradesmen use it for building frames for anything.
If you want to fasten anything to it you use something called a Zebedee. (it has a spring attached that looks like the character from magic roundabout)

There weren't no Lego when I was a lad, I don't think it had been invented then.

We had some Mecanno, I think, but we also had another construction toy, metal 5-sided flat things and triangular ones, with curled over edges, you could join two plates together By putting a steel rod through the curled over bits, So you could make Balls and Pyramids etc and some weird shapes. I don;'t recall what it was named.

That strikes a chord.
Damned if I can remember the name of it.

Quote: billwill @ 20th August 2022, 9:35 PM

There weren't no Lego when I was a lad, I don't think it had been invented then.

Same here. Wasn't big on Meccano, but did have (and still got it!) my Bayko set, for building houses.

I don't recall having heard of Bayko until it was mentioned here.

For our model railway layout, I and my brothers used to make houses by casting walls with windows and roofs etc from plans using wooden bars tapped down with small nails onto a sheet of plastic laid over the plans. Then one would assemble a house by pouring a thin plaster mix down the joints. Then painting them and put them on the layout with a torch bulb inside.

I'm surprised Bill, as Bayko was very big in the post war/1950s period, but there's no way they would have been suitable for a train layout.

I remember unsuccessfully making small houses for my meagre train set and gluing "brick" paper on them - the effect wasn't too bad, which was good enough for us, as we couldn't afford the "proper" Triang 00 gauge buildings.

And I quote :-
Over its lifespan, both Plimpton and Meccano Bayko was exported across the world, and, besides being a toy, it attracted a modest adult following that still exists today. A healthy trade in original Bayko sets and parts also exists today, with some enthusiasts even casting their own Bayko pieces.

1939............WOW!

1994................Ahh, Scotch VHS tape cassettes, and good quality they were too - does anyone remember the excellent "Not Fade Away" TV ad? And your question for today is - who voiced it? ? And how much were The Stones paid for the music.

Derek Guyler, I do believe.
Don't know about the cost - but if I could remember the agency, I might be able to find out.