Vintage adverts Page 19

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 2nd April 2022, 8:21 AM

I had an Akia reel to reel. You never hear of them anymore (Akia that is)

Or even Akai ?

Never thought about it or realised before, that you get RH and LH combos.

Olive and Arthur rode in one in On The Buss's. It didn't end well

Odd that the side-car would reduce insurance costs?
Is it because you can't go fast?
Or you can't fall over?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 2nd April 2022, 10:02 AM

Olive and Arthur rode in one in On The Buss's. It didn't end well

And George and Mildred

Quote: Lazzard @ 2nd April 2022, 11:37 AM

Odd that the side-car would reduce insurance costs?
Is it because you can't go fast?
Or you can't fall over?

Both, I would think

LH Drive

It's amazing, as I never thought about it before, but it all seems logical now in somewhere like The States

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd April 2022, 9:46 AM

I know almost nothing about motorbikes and even less about motorbike-sidecar combinations so please forgive me if I've got this completely wrong but isn't the 'sidecar on the left' arrangement (as shown in the illustration) the normal one for British roads and therefore wouldn't it cost a massive (in 1979) £100 more than the advertised price according to the tiny print in the top right-hand corner?

Combo? CONbo, more like.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd April 2022, 12:18 PM

LH Drive

It's amazing, as I never thought about it before, but it all seems logical now in somewhere like The States

And, of course, in Freedonia.
I may have to watch Duck Soup again (for the umpteenth time.)

Quote: alison blunderland @ 2nd April 2022, 1:16 PM

I know almost nothing about motorbikes and even less about motorbike-sidecar combinations so please forgive me if I've got this completely wrong but isn't the 'sidecar on the left' arrangement (as shown in the illustration) the normal one for British roads and therefore wouldn't it cost a massive (in 1979) £100 more than the advertised price according to the tiny print in the top right-hand corner?

Combo? CONbo, more like.

I see your good point, and you are right it is not 100% clear whether they are talking about the motorbike or sidecar - left or right fitting, but the extra £100 would seem to be fair to me, if they had to build an exception to the rule. I presume, for example, if you wanted a foreign car that is only made in LH drive, you would have to pay considerable expense for a RH modification.

As the name implies, it is Russian made, so maybe the one shown is original and if you want a "normal" one for British roads, then it would cost you the extra £100, which suggests, as you point out, a bit of a con.

Gosh!Reminds me of a youthful lark.A friend and I took an old bike and sidecar over to France for a week.We took it in turns to drive.I was in the sidecar only once.Having mad French drivers aim straight at you when sitting in a metal box in the middle of the road was no fun.

1959........ I remember my parents having a Flit "gun" - never knew it was made by Esso. DDT been banned for many years now, of course.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th April 2022, 9:25 AM

Looks just as if someone tacked a roof on the back of a saloon car, to me.

1910........... 2½d (2 and a half pennies) for 10 fags! That's about just over 1p!