Has comedy become too political?

is it just me or are all modern panel shows full of the same left leaning woke liberals where all they do is poke fun at anything remotely right wing, conservative (lower case c) thinking or patriotic? Just seems like let's make a joke about Trump, Farrage etc. which is fine but daren't say anything about the like of Dianne Abbott etc.?

Hug Welcome to the site Bob.

(That's a yes in case you didn't get it.)

Personally I think any professional comedian who allowed themselves the easiest of pickings with Trump jokes should have their performance licence revoked. What's really staggered me these last four years is how many stand ups filled their boots, their pockets and everything else with almost nothing else but 'Trump is a clown' material, some have based an entire act on it and you wonder what the hell they're going to do now he's nearly gone. Lazy, lowest skill rating, taking sweets from a baby comedy. imo

And yes most of them are petrified to pick on the left because their audience will attack them on Twitter and they'll lose their precious following and ultimately their gigs. Who was that bloke who brave enough to have a pop at Corbyn supporters on HIGNFY the other week? The poor bloke got hammered on social media and may not get another booking again because they all seem to be run by the permanently left leaning trendies. Under them comedy has become an exclusive one sided club with being a lefty a condition of entry. Sick

Well said. The next time I'm round your way, I'll stand you a couple of pots at The Alfred.

There are a few z list comedians who appear on shows that take pot shots at 70s/80s attitudes which are now no go areas. They should be careful, in 20 years time, their own material may be in the firing line. What passes for humour now could one day be seen as repulsive.

I've just read that The Vicar of Dibley is doing a BLM political commentary this Christmas. Sorry but supporting riots instigated by the death of a career criminal in the USA don't appeal to me and frankly I'm angered that this is on my f'ing dime! I wonder if the BBC and their overpaid cronies will ever have the guts to make a stand against the institutionalised abuse of young girls at the hands of a predominant group, no, that wouldn't fit into their manifesto I guess. On the Trump front, yes he is a bit of a star, and so is his counterpart in the UK, Boris, but when I saw the sad excuse for entertainment that was Spitting Image a month or so ago, I noticed that the ratio of right to left jokes was incredibly disproportionate, you'd have Trump joke, Trump joke, something about Brexit, Trump joke, Boris joke and then something about 'Sir' Keir Starmer, I remember the show from the 80's where you'd have Reagan and Thatcher jokes but that would equally have Kinnock jokes and pops at the Pope, Madonnas, Sigue Sigue Sputnik and just about anyone, all were fair game, all were equal but now it's just the same old tired mantra of woke appeasement of all people with conservative (lower case c) values are evil, left leaning liberals are all good.

So many political leaders with their bumptious behaviour and ridiculous lies are easy targets these days.It does get quite boring.

Of course, the best comedy has nothing to do with politics. It is one person closing a door at the same time as another person, with no trousers on, opens a different door. And having the vicar round for tea.

But everyone takes the piss out of Dianne Abbott.

Come back Andrew Dice Clay. All is forgiven.

She is an odious hypocrite, vile and terrible example of why the 'modern' Labour Party has lost so much credibility amongst working-class, British people.

I think this thread proves exactly why there is very little right-wing comedy.

Yeah the world needs more Jim Davidsons !

Not.

The left have achieved their goal. Mock anything or anyone they don't like and have a set of responses ready for anyone that raises their head.
Jokes or comedy is now only acceptable within a very narrow band that they dictate.

Thanks for saving us from ourselves.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 7th December 2020, 8:34 AM

The left have achieved their goal. Mock anything or anyone they don't like

It would also have to be what the audience don't like in order for enough of them to laugh. Also, isn't that what right wing comedians do ?

True there's little need to mock Trump when he does it so well himself. I can't think of any good right wing comedians, though.