Has comedy become too political? Page 2

They've been railroaded out of town...

This is generally a very conservative forum.
Most of the newspapers are with you. Be happy with that!
Also, there are few funny right wing comedians.
To be fair, if would be odd if comedians were always attacking the left. The left are not in power. There's bound to be more material about Trump and Johnson. They're in office. For the moment anyway...
Incidentally, why can no one anywhere spell Diane Abbott's name right? It's not hard.

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th December 2020, 9:53 PM

I think this thread proves exactly why there is very little right-wing comedy.

Exactly!

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 7th December 2020, 1:19 PM

This is generally a very conservative forum.

I would definitely disagree with that. One or two perhaps but one anti-left word out of place and the rest soon gang up on them.

The left are not in power. There's bound to be more material about Trump and Johnson. They're in office. For the moment anyway...

You appear to be making the common error there of believing Johnson to be on the right politically. People should be judged, not on their political label (we know from his two prepared Brexit arguments that he will take up any label that best advantages Boris Johnson), but what they do and what they deliver.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th December 2020, 2:34 PM

I would definitely disagree with that. One or two perhaps but one anti-left word out of place and the rest soon gang up on them.

You appear to be making the common error there of believing Johnson to be on the right politically. People should be judged, not on their political label (we know from his two prepared Brexit arguments that he will take up any label that best advantages Boris Johnson), but what they do and what they deliver.

Not so sure about the first. Polls suggest around 20% of the UK population like Donald Trump. On here it seems to be close to 40 or 50%. Most sites wouldn't have had an endless discussion arising from the fact two members of the ensemble cast of a BBC sitcom happened to be black either.
Johnson is probably on the left of the Tory Party but certainly isn't left wing by any other standard. He is ideologically unrooted its true. But
A) he did go for Brexit in the end, quite possibly swinging the entire vote.
B) he promised to keep spending low last year only increasing it later when the pandemic gave him no other option
C) excludes non-Brexiters from power.
D) cut foreign aid
E) disastrously handed over track and trace launch to private finance
F) backs anti refugee stance of P Patel
G) threatens and attacks supposedly left wing BBC.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 7th December 2020, 4:06 PM

Not so sure about the first. Polls suggest around 20% of the UK population like Donald Trump. On here it seems to be close to 40 or 50%.

I can think of only two who have been vociferous on the matter..

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 7th December 2020, 4:06 PM

A) he did go for Brexit in the end, quite possibly swinging the entire vote.
B) he promised to keep spending low last year only increasing it later when the pandemic gave him no other option
C) excludes non-Brexiters from power.
D) cut foreign aid
E) disastrously handed over track and trace launch to private finance
F) backs anti refugee stance of P Patel
G) threatens and attacks supposedly left wing BBC.

A) As I say, will take up any cause that best benefits him (which it clearly did);
B) As I say, should be judged on what they deliver;
C) Purely as a result of A;
D) Forced into it economically as a result of what he has delivered under B)
E) More as a result of nepotism and the like than of any political ideology;
F & G) Let's wait and see what he ultimately delivers (rather than what he threatens in order to court popularity within the party)

Incidentally, why can no one anywhere spell Diane Abbott's name right? It's not hard.

Because I can't be arsed.

Well you say that but speaking as a dyslexic why on earth does she have a double D , is she a big woman ? Abot - the T T isn't necessary either ! I guess it's habit.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th December 2020, 2:34 PM

Hmmm. I suspect the fact you consider someone like Boris Johnson to be left-wing might explain why you think this forum to be teeming with lefties.

Quote: Firkin @ 7th December 2020, 7:11 PM

Well you say that but speaking as a dyslexic why on earth does she have a double D , is she a big woman ? Abot - the T T isn't necessary either ! I guess it's habit.

Lost me a bit here. Oh abbot - like a monk's habit? I see. The rest of it seems to be some sexist drivel speculating about the bra size of a 67 year old woman.
Right-wing comedy in action, ladies and gentlemen!

Oh the new moral clarity is just breathtaking....
Who knew the left just wanted to replace Jesus with racism...

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 8th December 2020, 7:03 AM

Lost me a bit here. Oh abbot - like a monk's habit? I see. The rest of it seems to be some sexist drivel speculating about the bra size of a 67 year old woman.
Right-wing comedy in action, ladies and gentlemen!

Far from it Chris, check back on here I'm often accused of being a lefty. The point you've helped me make is that you are so quick to accuse people of being right - wing, just because I used a bit of old fashioned carry on film comedy. If you demand the older generation respects your ways, shouldn't you respect the ways of the older generation ? Shouldn't you also attempt some humour on a comedy site before you criticise others ? Apologies if you already have, I've not noticed. In fairness to you there is balance, you're upsetting the left and the right, hang on, you're not Corbyn are you ? ;)

Fair points actually.
I do apologise.

I'm glad I don't go to see live comedy shows as I fear this sort of thing being spewed out by a so called comedian - See latest news story on audience members being hounded out of venue for not standing up in support of stand up's non comedial political rallying.

Hope he gets charged with hate crime but I somehow doubt he will with our one sided police.

Interesting, do you have a link to that article ? I've never seen a witty heckler shouted down. Bob Mortimer began by heckling Vic Reaves. Been to a lot of gigs lately and politics (or heckling) don't come up much. They're predominantly unwitty sexist or racist comments. Isn't that more about respect than politics ?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 8th December 2020, 10:28 AM

Fair points actually.
I do apologise.

Just seen this. Thanks Chris, you're a gentleman. I should also apologies, I tend to panic when spelling comes up. If someone understands the word, job done isn't it ? But I do appreciate how important (and easy) spelling is to some.