Hippies Page 3

Network are about to release the first Thames series (of four, I think). The BBC ones are coming out, and actually relatively quickly by DVD release standards; the first was out on 4th June 2007, and series 4 will be released on 28th April 2008. So that's four releases (including the specials) in just less than 11 months. Not bad in my book, particularly considering they're also releasing The Two Ronnies at the same time!

I was wondering when the fourth series would be released. Good to see it so soon. But you're right, by DVD standards this is pretty quick. I see that now...

How did this get into a discussion about Morecambe and Wise?

I got Hippies for my Birthday a couple of weeks ago. Just watched it, loved it, loved it, loved it.

I recall this as being a very obvious and lazy take on the hippy thing. Not sure I got past the first episode though.

Quote: jdubya @ July 3 2008, 12:49 AM BST

How did this get into a discussion about Morecambe and Wise?

With great skill.

Quote: Aaron @ July 3 2008, 12:58 AM BST

With great skill.

I salute your genius

Well I liked Hippies. I 'acquired' a copy of it a year or so ago because I hadn't seen it since it first aired. One of the bits I love is where Julian Rhind-tutt's character is being chased and he's nonchalently strolling along and at every cut he's still got people running after him.

Good to see it's on DVD, I'll have to get myself a copy.

I waited a while for this so when it came out I immediately got it but for those of you who haven't and want it for a good price, you can get it from Tesco.com for £6 with free p&p and its in stock at the moment. I think its region 0 so it should play anywhere. Just follow:

http://jersey.tesco.com/product.aspx?R=834897

Apart from 3 DVD extras there are some fold out newspaper articles in the DVD box resembling their magazine from the sitcom.

The series is worth watching just for Peter Serafenwoicz's guest spot.

"Are you listening to me?"

The best episodes are the ones with the police, and the sex one.

Quote: Sean Prower @ July 4 2008, 10:04 AM BST

I waited a while for this so when it came out I immediately got it but for those of you who haven't and want it for a good price, you can get it from Tesco.com for £6 with free p&p and its in stock at the moment. I think its region 0 so it should play anywhere. Just follow:

http://jersey.tesco.com/product.aspx?R=834897

Apart from 3 DVD extras there are some fold out newspaper articles in the DVD box resembling their magazine from the sitcom.

Thanks for that link - great price. Have just ordered a copy, saving about £5 on the Amazon price.

Might as well share my opinion of the series - obviously, having just bought the DVD, I liked it .....

However, I must admit when it was first on, given the cast and writers involved, I wasn't that struck with it. But, after watching a few Paramount reruns, I felt it had 'matured with age' and was much better than I remembered - now when does THAT ever happen?
:)

It's not perfect, but it's quite fun.

"Seeing you again has made me feel . . . Really horny'. Pegg's got some great lines in it.

I watched the Sandpaper episode today.
I remember watching this when it came out & it didn't really grab me.
But I did enjoy the episode, I'll look out for the rest of the series.

Is it one of those shows that seem better than you thought when you look back at it?