Hippies Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ November 24, 2007, 11:54 AM

Maybe one of those shows that's very much "of its time"?

Maybe it just wasn't that good anyway. But i'll check out the other episodes first, cause I'm sure there were some good ones in there.

The show had some great moments. I remember the sandpaper episode, the episode with the world's bigest freak (Which might have been the same episode), the beard and naked play episode featuring Peter Swjfnjfngjksngjskng (that guy from Spaced who had the sketch show on BBC2) and the one where they go to the concert and Simon Pegg makes his I wish I had two pricks comment. Laughing out loud

I watched it when it first came out- I remember enjoying it- but eight years have passed without any repeats (repeated on sky, but I don't have sky) and no releases. But I've just watched the first episode on youtube and thought it was really funny. Episode 4 is also on youtube, so I'll be watching that. Simon Pegg's a genius. Also fantastic in the Black Books episode 'Manny Come Home' and the best film of 2007- Hot Fuzz. And also, the great news is it will be released on DVD in March

I remember a few episodes, e.g. the one in which everyone was in awe of one of the characters, because he had discovered a cool group by himself, rather than having heard them on the radio, or seen them on T.V. Well, I think they were in awe. It was either that, or that they just couldn't get their heads around someone discovering a band by themselves, without being told to like them by the media.

Great news about this release! Just found this link about the DVD and its extras. http://www.retrotogo.com/2008/02/60s-based-sitco.html

Quote: Sean Prower @ February 2, 2008, 8:44 PM

Great news about this release! Just found this link about the DVD and its extras. http://www.retrotogo.com/2008/02/60s-based-sitco.html

Great news! Cheers for this info.

Bo.

Have to say I'm in the ranks of the 'never heard of it' crowd on this one.

With Julian and Simon both in it, I'm really annoyed to have missed out. When did it air? Is any channel courrently showing or about to show it,then?

It was originally shown on the BBC in 1999. They used to repeat it on Paramount but they stopped a while ago. Hopefully if they stick to the release date it should be out on DVD by 10th March.

It's from way way back many centuries ago, not long after the Bible began. Ok, 1999. And no, no one is currently showing it as far as I'm aware. You'll have to get the DVD! :D

Quote: earman2009 @ November 23, 2007, 7:33 PM

ne thing that confused me was why Graham Lineham, who co-created the show, did not co-write it too. The answer is probalby because he was writing Black Books, but then why did he not co write the second series of big train? Also, why didn't he co write the second or third series of black books? Maybe he had had enough of co writing tv shows and wanted to write by himself. After saying that, the second series of Black Books was 2001 and Big Train 2 was 2002, The IT Crowd wasn't until 2006. But, anyway the point I'm trying to make is - yes I liked Hippies and would probably buy the DVD if it were available.

He said in a Ted commentary that he wanted to move away from the silly stuff he'd been doing with Mathews. Seems odd when he turns up with The IT Crowd a few years later.

There's a review in The Times about the programme. If you're a fan the verdict is not good. Three hippies watched it and gave their views but they only watched one episode. Even if you can relate to a programme is it fair to judge it from one episode?

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/dvd/article3483996.ece

I remember watching the show when it was originally on. I also remember thinking that it was cliched and predicatable crap!

I bought the DVD and its just as good as I remember. The extras are pretty good and there's also 2 big fold out double-sided newspaper interviews with the Hippies characters in the DVD box. One being an interview in their 'Mouth' magazine in 1969 and a catch up interview with them in 2008, to find out what happened to everyone after the magazine shut down. It was great to see this sitcom again, a good release, now all we need is the complete release of Smack The Pony and The Morecambe and Wise Show and we're getting somewhere.

Morecambe and Wise is well on the way, thank God!

How long do you think it'll take for them to release all the Morecambe and Wise shows from the BBC and Thames? I have a feeling that they're going to be dragged out over a long period of time though I was extremely happy to see the Christmas specials box set. And Smack The Pony deserves more than a 'best of'! I've been watching the 3rd series on demand and it's brilliant! I had to buy the first 2 series from Germany.