Comedy Lab

I enjoyed the first ep with Karl Pilkington last night.

Whether he is genuine or not, he is still entertaining and the guests that he spoke to were good value as well.

So what has everyone thought about the last few Comedy Lab episodes?

I've only got around to watching Documental so far. It was a bit rubbish and boring IMHO - you didn't really get to know anything about the people they focused on. There was the odd thing that made me smile though (the images of those camp power walkers... they weren't for real were they!?!)

Ain't It Funny Being Coloured was a rather poor 'multicultural' sketch show. While some sketches were both insightful and funny - an advert promoting T-Shirts including 'Don't Freak...I'm A Sikh' - many more were dull, derivative or just plain silly. In one sketch a woman is too nervous to criticise chocolate brownies in front of a dark skinned women; I may have an idyllic view but surely this isn't a realistic situation. Would benefit from occasionally removing itself from it's theme, at least for variety.

I watched the first half of documental and thought it was really poor. I wasn't even sure that it was intended to be a comedy.

Even though the quality is variable though, i think C4 should be commended for taking some chances with both this series and the Friday night pilots.

Quote: Nick @ October 25, 2007, 3:59 PM

Even though the quality is variable though, i think C4 should be commended fo taking some chances with both this series and the Friday night pilots.

Yes, very good point. I hope BBC3 has been paying attention - if C4 can produce 14 pilots (8 Comedy Labs + 6 Comedy Showcases) on the comedy budget it has, it suggests BBC3 should be doing many more than it does.

I thought that American guy on tonight's show (the one that was on after Russell Brand) was a bit of a prick. I lost any liking I had for him, when he burst out laughing, at the bloke who phoned into the radio show, because he worked in a factory.

I didn't make it past the title sequence.

He wasn't laughing because he worked in a factory he was laughing because he said "My boss said I'm very good at packing boxes", he was laughing more out of disbelief that this guy couldn't see how ridiculous he sounded. Doug wanted the guy to hone his skills in to something more valuable to employers, as he says anybody can pack a box, do a job that has some specific skill that no one can do as good as you then you're most likely not going to get replaced.

Doug Stanhope makes a lot of great points, he's a pretty well respected stand-up comedian, although he does try to be a little Bill Hicks at times. But as the guy once said, "If I get compared to Bill Hicks one more time I can officially own his estate" (paraphrased)

I thought he was quite funny. A bit smug but what comedian isn't?

I was worried he was gonna go all American and say what a great audience they were - which he did - but with a barb.

white ones? or all of 'em?

Whiteys. People here are far too wimpy in what they'll talk about. Everything is going to offend someone, no matter how hard we try otherwise or do not intend it to do so. Society needs to mature a bit. Being sensitive is one thing, but steering completely away from whole subjects is another.

Yeah, be less sensitive you piles of diseased excrement.

It's definitely one of the best/most interesting comedy that has snuck it's way on TV in a long while, it made you think as well as laugh and there's nothing wrong with that. I pretty much agree with everything he said, think I will check some of his stuff out. I've always been wary with him because of the Hick's comparison, Hicks is my fave stand-up comedian ever you see. But yeah, will check out some more Stanhope.

Check out Jim Norton for some very very close to the bone, pulling no punches US stand up.

I saw some comedy from a man named Rick Shapiro who seemed to be slowly dying while doing his act.