Year Of The Rabbit - Series 1 Page 3

Year Of The Rabbit. Image shows from L to R: Wilbur Strauss (Freddie Fox), Detective Inspector Rabbit (Matt Berry), Mabel Wisbech (Susan Wokoma). Copyright: Objective Productions.

Year Of The Rabbit

Sitcom about police fighting crime in the 1880s

Will Cam

• Tuesday 9th July 2019, 7:17pm
  • England
  • 7,908 posts

Latest episode was very good.

Paul Wimsett

• Wednesday 10th July 2019, 12:27pm
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 3,119 posts
Quote: Rood Eye @ 9th July 2019, 6:14 PM

All in all, it's an absolutely brilliant sitcom but, as I've said before, it has a major fault for me personally because as I sit here watching it I'm continually waiting for the arrival of a character I can actually like and he/she has yet to arrive.

Aren't Matt Berry, Keeley Hawes and Jill Halfpenny likeable people? Isn't watching them enough?

Rood Eye

• Wednesday 10th July 2019, 12:57pm
  • England
  • 2,257 posts
Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 10th July 2019, 12:27 PM

Aren't Matt Berry, Keeley Hawes and Jill Halfpenny likeable people?

I can't say as I don't know any of them in real life.

Isn't watching them enough?

No.

Paul Wimsett

• Wednesday 10th July 2019, 5:00pm
  • 3,119 posts

But the show isn't real life, so what's the difference?

Rood Eye

• Wednesday 10th July 2019, 5:43pm
  • England
  • 2,257 posts
Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 10th July 2019, 5:00 PM

what's the difference?

Between . . . ?

Paul Wimsett

• Wednesday 10th July 2019, 8:38pm
  • 3,119 posts

Okay, I get it. You don't like the show!

Rood Eye

• Wednesday 10th July 2019, 10:22pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 2,257 posts
Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 10th July 2019, 8:38 PM

Okay, I get it. You don't like the show!

I wouldn't say that: it's extremely good in many respects.

If I could warm to some of the characters, I'd like it very much.

Will Cam

• Wednesday 10th July 2019, 11:03pm
  • England
  • 7,908 posts

Aren't Matt Berry, Keeley Hawes and Jill Halfpenny likeable people? Isn't watching them enough?

Rood means their characters aren't likeable.

Paul Wimsett

• Thursday 11th July 2019, 10:13am
  • 3,119 posts

Still not sure. In screenwriting terms it's the "Save the cat". You need to write something where the character redeems themselves.

My view is, sod it. A character is a character. You either like them or you don't. Sorry, Rood.

tonecapone

• Monday 15th July 2019, 12:35pm [Edited]
  • derby, England
  • 95 posts

I have tried and I just hate this so called show and I would petition not to have a second series. Talk about MATT BERRY doing one sitcom too many. Please go back to doing TOAST OF LONDON. He is in danger of being totally played out and watered down over this tripe.

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Tuesday 16th July 2019, 3:28pm
  • England
  • 15,566 posts

Not a riot, but I've enjoyed it and clearly they have thrown a lot of money at it, AND it looks like there will be another series with the way they finished it - I would watch a second series.

Aaron

• Tuesday 16th July 2019, 10:02pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,275 posts

As would I. I know they're keen, and I believe there's a good chance. Fingers crossed.

Rood Eye

• Tuesday 16th July 2019, 11:42pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 2,257 posts

Year of the Rabbit is a spectacular comedy romp and I can certainly see it spinning off into a successful 90-minute movie.

How many sitcoms ever done that? Not many, and that's a fact!

If it's going to achieve its full potential either on TV or on the cinema screen, I really think it needs to stop trying to be all things to all men. At its best, it's as funny and as intelligent and as entertaining as anything I've ever seen in TV comedy. The problem is that, at its (very frequent) worst, it makes Two Pints of Lager look like Yes, Minister.

The writers have the ability to write top-class intelligent comedy but they don't have the ability to write top-class "gross out" comedy in the same brilliant way that The League of Gentlemen do. The low stuff in Rabbit just looks clumsy and desperate and I have no idea why writers of this quality would want to include material like that - especially when they must realise that's not where their talent lies.

It's puzzling that they even attempt to write bottom-of-the-barrel comedy for drunken students and guttersnipes in the same script that would be BAFTA quality if they only realised how good they actually are at writing top-class comedy and stopped trying to cater for people who wouldn't recognise quality comedy if it jumped up and bit them on the arse.