Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special 2019 Page 2

Gavin & Stacey. Image shows from L to R: Bryn (Rob Brydon), Gwen (Melanie Walters), Nessa (Ruth Jones), Stacey (Joanna Page), Gavin (Mathew Horne), Smithy (James Corden), Pam (Alison Steadman), Mick (Larry Lamb). Copyright: Baby Cow Productions.

Gavin & Stacey

A critic-pleasing, gentle and warm comedy about the romance between an Essex lad and Welsh girl

george roper

• Tuesday 31st December 2019, 7:21pm [Edited]
  • in the back on stan butlers bus ., England
  • 4,039 posts

I quite liked this comeback at Christmas, it was rather good Christmas telly. Loved every bit of it. I really hope they bring it back for Series 4, or a film.

Definitely Tarby

• Tuesday 31st December 2019, 8:40pm
  • 1,994 posts

I spent most of Christmas on the sofa under mounds of blankets because of a cold so didn't see much TV. I knew I was ill because the thought of drinking beer seemed disgusting and that is just not like me. I hadn't seen Gavin And Stacey before but watched it with the folks and really enjoyed it. Subtle humour from likeable characters and by the end I was wondering where the story was going even though I was new to the characters and their relationships with each other. A hallmark of great comedy writing.

Paul Wimsett

• Tuesday 31st December 2019, 11:43pm
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 3,379 posts
Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 31st December 2019, 8:40 PM

I spent most of Christmas on the sofa under mounds of blankets because of a cold so didn't see much TV..

Were the blankets movable? Seems quite lazy.

Aaron

• Wednesday 1st January 2020, 9:37am
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,517 posts
Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 31st December 2019, 8:40 PM

I spent most of Christmas on the sofa under mounds of blankets because of a cold so didn't see much TV. I knew I was ill because the thought of drinking beer seemed disgusting and that is just not like me. I hadn't seen Gavin And Stacey before but watched it with the folks and really enjoyed it. Subtle humour from likeable characters and by the end I was wondering where the story was going even though I was new to the characters and their relationships with each other. A hallmark of great comedy writing.

That's quite the accolade indeed!

I don't remember ever being bowled over by the original series runs, but also greatly enjoyed the special. Nice references back, a couple of slight sickly cringe points, but lots to enjoy and laugh at too. Great cliffhanger as well - found myself dying for the next episode!