British Comedy Quiz Page 50

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 29th July 2023, 10:14 AM

😂 Kurt Vonnegut roll over. (He famously punched his editor's lights out over his editing of a mere short story)

Have you read Hunter S. Thompson's letter to Anthony Burgess? It's a treat. It's not a rant against ill-advised editing, but an editor objecting to a contributor not coming up with the requested goods.

Context: Thompson was an editor of Rolling Stone magazine. Anthony Burgess had been asked to write a thinkpiece but had instead proposed a novella.
Thompson's response:
Dear Mr. Burgess,
Herr Wenner has forwarded your useless letter from Rome to the National Affairs Desk for my examination and/or reply.
Unfortunately, we have no International Gibberish Desk, or it would have ended up there.
What kind of lame, half-mad bullshit are you trying to sneak over on us? When Rolling Stone asks for "a thinkpiece", goddamnit, we want a f**king Thinkpiece... and don't try to weasel out with any of your limey bullshit about a "50,000 word novella about the condition humaine, etc..."
Do you take us for a gang of brainless lizards? Rich hoodlums? Dilettante thugs?
You lazy cocksucker. I want that Thinkpiece on my desk by Labor Day. And I want it ready for press. The time has come & gone when cheapjack scum like you can get away with the kind of scams you got rich from in the past.
Get your worthless ass out of the piazza and back to the typewriter. Your type is a dime a dozen around here, Burgess, and I'm f**ked if I'm going to stand for it any longer.
Sincerely,
Hunter S Thompson

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th July 2023, 10:53 AM

So in a way you still need to campaign to get another half dozen quizzes done on him. That'll keep Nikki's scores down. 🙂

I can assure you I've had plenty of lower scores in the past! Yet to hit 0/15 yet though, if anyone considers that a challenge :)

Edinburgh Fringe Quiz by Richard Gill. I would describe this quiz as 'difficult'.
I think all my answers were guesses, except the surname of Barry Cryer's collaborator seemed vaguely familiar.
3/10. Correct answers: 2, 6, 7.

Yes probably easier for stand up fans and festival goers but as that doesn't include me I got 3/10 also. 2,7,9. Others here could score much better. Well done Richard for adding to the special quiz tally, albeit one of the regular specials.

Enjoyed the Edinburgh Quiz.
5 out of 10!
2, 3, 7, 9 and 10.
Knew most of the questions I got right. Most of my pure guesses were wrong.
Q1 perhaps too hard but generally it was OK. Hard but good to be challenged!

5/10 and 3/5 for me, which I admit was higher than I expected to get. It's a long time since I followed the Edinburgh Festival news closely every day. Thanks Richard, great quiz!

Quiz 266 by Niki, and I got 6/10, which I was quite pleased with. Some good questions as usual (I vividly remember first seeing Sandi Toksvig in that programme in question 2, though I hadn't thought of it or seen it for years!)

Correct answers: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10.

Great quiz.
9 for me. Just got the Carry On one wrong.

For the last few weeks I can't get it up in the morning and I never used to have this trouble. No I haven't got the Doctor's appointment website mixed up with this one, I'm talking about the quiz, madam.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 9th August 2023, 9:02 AM

For the last few weeks I can't get it up in the morning and I never used to have this trouble. No I haven't got the Doctor's appointment website mixed up with this one, I'm talking about the quiz, madam.

Same with me. Last week and this week (and once before) it goes missing just as I'm settling down to give it a go while I enjoy my kedgeree and pains au chocolat.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 9th August 2023, 5:40 AM

Great quiz.
9 for me. Just got the Carry On one wrong.

Excellent Chris, well done :)

Quote: a plate @ 9th August 2023, 1:35 AM

Quiz 266 by Niki, and I got 6/10, which I was quite pleased with. Some good questions as usual (I vividly remember first seeing Sandi Toksvig in that programme in question 2, though I hadn't thought of it or seen it for years!)

Thanks a plate, I only saw that show a handful of times during its broadcast but I remember the ensemble cast popping up in a few other things on TV at the time, so she was in my head as a performer before becoming associated with adult comedy acting roles and panel shows.

Hello folks!

I scored 8 out of 10 on the regular questions today, strong mixture of questions Niki.....

I correctly answered: Q1, Q3, Q4, Q5, Q6, Q7, Q8, Q9.
I incorrectly answered: Q2, Q10.

Now that it's back available again, I can confirm that I only knew (as opposed to randomly guessing) numbers 1, 3 & 7.

5 but none of them were guesses this time. Good to see The Young Ones and The Comic Strip in there.
Today's Interesting Fact Not About The Spice Girls
The Bullshitters was the only Comic Strip episode omitted from the box set, because Keith Allen was against the idea.

Quote: a plate @ 9th August 2023, 1:35 AM

I vividly remember first seeing Sandi Toksvig in that programme in question 2, though I hadn't thought of it or seen it for years

Same arse.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 10th August 2023, 8:01 AM

The Bullshitters was the only Comic Strip episode omitted from the box set, because Keith Allen was against the idea.

Are you sure about that? I don't have mine to double-check, but Wikipedia says it is not considered part of the series, doesn't feature the opening title animation, but WAS in the 2005 box set. Perhaps there are different editions, not just straight re-releases?