British Comedy Quiz Page 2

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th November 2018, 8:06 AM

Your quizzes have too much modern comedy crap in them Aaron, sorry but it's not on. I got the first four right and ended up with 5/10. Eh? Angry

It's akin to being a quizmaster for a pub quiz that attracts broad demographics of contestants. When setting the music round, do you include mostly just "grandpa" hits from the early 60s to the early 90s? Or do you focus on stuff that people under 30 will know? Or try for a mix of questions covering the 60s to the 2010s?

The solution is simple. You old farts should throw away all your DVDs of "classic" shows. Don't waste time trying to rediscover pleasures of yore that were never that great in the first place. Live in the now, embrace the new, excel at these quizzes.

I also got 5/10.

Quote: Kenneth @ 7th November 2018, 10:34 AM

The solution is simple. You old farts should throw away all your DVDs of "classic" shows. Don't waste time trying to rediscover pleasures of yore that were never that great in the first place.

How sad. Classic comedy will never die. One wonders if anyone will remember Mrs Brown's Boys in 50 years time as is the case now with say Hancock's Half Hour.

Quote: Kenneth @ 7th November 2018, 10:34 AM

Live in the now, embrace the new, excel at these quizzes.
I also got 5/10.

Methinks someone just shot themselves in the foot.

Someone doesn't get irony...

I do, but not in this case as it was a pure fluke, besides which I get sick and tired of people airing their axe grinding views (and this goes for some modern day "comedians" too) and then claim it is irony or they are being ironic.

7/10. You're getting there.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th November 2018, 4:08 PM

I do, but not in this case as it was a pure fluke, besides which I get sick and tired of people airing their axe grinding views (and this goes for some modern day "comedians" too) and then claim it is irony or they are being ironic.

I don't get this, Herc. Surely every sarcastic view is irony? They're synonymous.

Again, can't edit myself. Here's a quiz question for you. Which sitcom features Bartholomew's Map of Central Swindon?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 29th February 2020, 12:07 PM

Again, can't edit myself. Here's a quiz question for you. Which sitcom features Bartholomew's Map of Central Swindon?

The Office?

Good guess. Did Wernham Hogg have an office in Swindon? "Messeurs" might be a clue?

It was Mr Don and Mr George.

Puzzling about the cryptic question: "A mansion that got replaced by a flower." Probably a river then? Can't get much further.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 5th December 2018, 10:31 AM

I don't get this, Herc. Surely every sarcastic view is irony? They're synonymous.

Sarcasm is more direct and it's always aggressive. Irony Is wittier and can be self-directed. I studied at Cambridge.

The local poly?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 27th April 2020, 5:33 PM

The local poly?

Isn't that one of the reasons to be cheerful? Laughing out loud

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 27th April 2020, 5:33 PM

The local poly?

I wish I had. It seemed a lot more fun. Cambridge is only recommended if you wanna be an academic all your life.
I just got one out of ten.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 22nd April 2020, 10:36 AM

It was Mr Don and Mr George.

Puzzling about the cryptic question: "A mansion that got replaced by a flower." Probably a river then? Can't get much further.

Actually it was Miss White who got replaced by Dr Orchid, who should be "a bloomer" according to the rules of cryptic crosswords.