Dad's Army - The Lost Episodes Page 7

Well I just saw it as the actor doing a good off centre version of an awkward teenager rather than trying to impersonate Lavender's version to a tee, so that's why I quite liked it. It was boldly animated, unlike the Wilson and Walker here. Let's face it, the original Pike was a cartoonish portrayal itself, not a very believable or realistic one, as great as the character was for the show.

I don't think sitcom remakes need Coogan like tonal accuracy, just bold attempts at something like it, because we're never going to get an exact double, and I think going to the lengths films do in make up and prosthetics would be daft for a TV sitcom. Let actors act, and I thought he was pretty good at that.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 30th August 2020, 10:40 AM

But, different actors playing the characters in such as Macbeth & Hamlet, and putting their own interpretations on them, have enabled the original scripts to survive for 400 years.

Oh you posted before I did, Billy. Absolutely. You're a fan of stage acting, like me. 'Bring something to it, luvvy, don't just be.' :) Takes off beret.

I thought Ian Lavender's Pike was quite believable as a Mummy's boy of that period - I remember kids like that in the early 50s.

If you don't think they should impersonate the original, then why did Kevin Eldon impersonate Clive Dunn's Jonesy, which was fine by me.

It's a shame that America's Hanna-Barbera animation studios were absorbed by Warner Bros and Cartoon Network. Otherwise, we could probably be enjoying The New Adventures of the Dad's Army Kids cartoon series. In which the infants of Walmington on Sea get up to all sorts of hilarious escapades, but in resolving their troubles, they learn valuable lessons about themselves. And little Georgie Mainwaring has a home-made robot monkey sidekick.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 30th August 2020, 10:40 AM

But, different actors playing the characters in such as Macbeth & Hamlet, and putting their own interpretations on them, have enabled the original scripts to survive for 400 years.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th August 2020, 10:52 AM

I don't think sitcom remakes need Coogan like tonal accuracy, just bold attempts at something like it, because we're never going to get an exact double, and I think going to the lengths films do in make up and prosthetics would be daft for a TV sitcom. Let actors act, and I thought he was pretty good at that.

Yes, certainly agree with Billy's sentiment, but I think you are both missing the point.

This is NOT a remake in the true sense of the word, such as Till Death Us Do Part, Keeping Up Appearances, Porridge, Steptoe and Son etc. etc. etc. - they WERE remakes.

No, what we have here is recreation of missing episodes, which should, to be effective, have actors who look the part, speak as near to the original as possible, and if that means make-up and yes, even prosthetics, then so be it.

IF they intended to completely remake Dad's Army, then yes, I totally agree - have actors putting a completely different interpretation on the scripts.

Quote: Kenneth @ 30th August 2020, 12:17 PM

It's a shame that America's Hanna-Barbera animation studios were absorbed by Warner Bros and Cartoon Network. Otherwise, we could probably be enjoying The New Adventures of the Dad's Army Kids cartoon series. In which the infants of Walmington on Sea get up to all sorts of hilarious escapades, but in resolving their troubles, they learn valuable lessons about themselves. And little Georgie Mainwaring has a home-made robot monkey sidekick.

Laughing out loud

Quote: TonyT @ 14th September 2019, 8:18 PM

Dire. Absolute dire. And the cast was wrong in the main.

Couldn't agree more! 👍