Unknown given a shot on prime time

Yonks ago, 30-40 years (?), there was a unfunny sitcom starring a BBC audience warm up comedian. I can only remember him bustling around a suburban living room set, it was his birthday, and he had posted a bunch of cards - to himself! It was all a bit forced and I didn't watch any more. Somewhere or other I got the impression that he was being given a shot at the big time in recognition for his services to other comedians.
Never saw him again.
Anybody know anything about it?

Was it Ted Robins by any chance?

Defo not him -

I have seen the guy - still talking yonks ago, once or twice in very minor roles.
Vaguely reminded me of Peter Glaze minus glasses of Cracker jack fame

I suppose I should try and draw him ...

Na Im miles off for quicky - it will take a while to get right -oh well, just wondered what happend to him

Quote: Flook @ 31st May 2018, 8:54 PM

Defo not him -

I have seen the guy - still talking yonks ago, once or twice in very minor roles.
Vaguely reminded me of Peter Glaze minus glasses of Cracker jack fame

I suppose I should try and draw him ...

Na Im miles off for quicky - it will take a while to get right -oh well, just wondered what happend to him

Nice pic. Reminds me a bit of Brian Walden. :)

I use to enjoy his forensic questioning of politicians
what ever happened to him - I know google

Whatever happened to hard hitting current affairs on ITV?

Quote: Flook @ 31st May 2018, 6:11 PM

Yonks ago 30-40 years ? there was a unfunny sit com starring a bbc audience warm up comedian. I can only remember him bustling around a suburban living room set, it was his birthday, and he had posted a bunch of cards - to him self !. It was all a bit forced and I didnt watch any more. Somewhere or other I got the impression that he was being given a shot at the big time in recognition for his services to other comedians.
Never saw him again.
Anybody know anything about it ?

If it's important/urgent, you could try asking Ben -

https://www.comedy.co.uk/profile/ben/

You might get hold of him more quickly via his website/blog -

http://www.curiousbritishtelly.co.uk/

The Digital Spy UK TV Shows forum might be another avenue.

George Kaplan@
Na - just idle interest - I hope he made it.

Mr Beaks@
I thank you Mr Beaks.
Let me know if you ever need a Pictionary savant - Im also a gifted idiot - though opportunities are limited

The joke of someone sending birthday cards to himself rings a bell.

Quote: beaky @ 1st June 2018, 9:39 AM

I see you're a digital wizard - do you use a Cintiq, or draw on an iPad? All that's beyond me, I stick to pen and ink.

Or a Wacom?

Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert, has explained (somewhere) in interesting detail how he made the jump from ink and paper to a gadget. I think it was in his mostly serious how-to-be-a-success, sort-of autobiographical book.

I have a Cinteq and probably every version of lesser drawing pad.
I cant live without the 'undo' and infinite over lays. I was sketching with pencil on a simple light table the other day and it took me a second or two to realise there was no undo button.
My hand writing is wrecked.

It's a hobby I can treat with royal contempt.

"The joke of someone sending birthday cards to himself rings a bell."

Yea I'm sure it's been done many times before. Little Ronnie Corbett comes to mind. In the instance I'm referring to, the comedian is thinking out loud, letter opener in hand. May have been a live audience.
Oh how we laughed while reaching for the off switch.

Quote: Kenneth @ 1st June 2018, 10:06 AM

The joke of someone sending birthday cards to himself rings a bell.

It's in Mr. Bean.

Quote: Flook @ 31st May 2018, 6:11 PM

Yonks ago, 30-40 years (?), there was a unfunny sitcom starring a BBC audience warm up comedian. I can only remember him bustling around a suburban living room set, it was his birthday, and he had posted a bunch of cards - to himself! It was all a bit forced and I didn't watch any more. Somewhere or other I got the impression that he was being given a shot at the big time in recognition for his services to other comedians.
Never saw him again.
Anybody know anything about it?

Can you describe anything else about him? Or remember anything at all about the show? Was it about him as a loner, for example? Or did he have family? Work? Etc.

Quote: Aaron @ 1st June 2018, 11:16 AM

It's in Mr. Bean.

Ah-hah. So it is.

Quote: Aaron @ 1st June 2018, 11:16 AM

It's in Mr. Bean.

Can you describe anything else about him? Or remember anything at all about the show? Was it about him as a loner, for example? Or did he have family? Work? Etc.

Na cant remember much except that he was about 5'5" slightly stocky, amiable, busy and bumbling - and was not the lovely Harry Worth.