Please become a BCG Supporter Page 6

I was trying to give a one time donation using Paypal, but it was so slow and buggy (showing the "identify the picture" several times even after acknowledging that i got it right) and simply looping, that in the end I just had to give up. Sorry, but the interface is just plain too clumsy.

I use Paypal for paying the maintenance fee for "the Scriptwriters Toolkit" and normally it is quick and easy. I suggest you drop that "Hermes.App" crappy interface and just do a simple one, using the button creation facility provided on the Paypal website (https://developer.paypal.com/api/nvp-soap/paypal-payments-standard/integration-guide/buy-now-step-1/) . I think you can deal with the monthly/periodic payments matter by simply sending a reminder email to the doner, with the button code in the email or a link to a simple page with the button(s) on it.

Added later:
It seems that the repeated "identification" stuff is actually on the Paypal site and not the hermes app (whatever that is) The Button creation facility has an option for monthly repeated payments. So I don't know where the problem actually is.

Hi Bill! Thanks for being up for donating, and sorry you've had a headache... As you've gathered in your later edit, it would appear to be PayPal's issue rather than anything on our site.

The "buy now" button you suggest is a bit basic for our needs. If we used that, we wouldn't then be able to do things like automatically enable Supporters perks for you (e.g. extra quiz questions, and such like), or issue a receipt that's saved in your BCG account, etc. But if PayPal is still not playing ball, you could try this simple link: https://paypal.me/BritishComedy (and then email us and we'll manually do the rest of the steps), or you could try a card rather than PayPal.

Hmmm, yes I see what you mean. There are other facilities which use extra hidden fields on buttons to cause Paypal to call relevant processes (hidden pages) on the vendor site (i.e. back on your site) , when the transaction is done. It's called "Instant Payment Notification" IPN https://developer.paypal.com/api/nvp-soap/ipn/ I use that to perform actions after payment; in my case to send an automatic email with the user's serial number and download link.

My stuff is quite old & written in ASP (Basic) so would probably need a complete re-write before it was any use to you. It's quite fiddly getting it working correctly as you are debugging 'pages' that don't have any output facility.

I see at the start of this thread, there was much enthusiasm and promises, which seemed to fade with time, which is a great pity................................So, wake up Britain!............

Just renewed my Supporter's Subscription - what is a £ a week? Nothing these days, so come on all you forum members, support Mark and Aaron! A £pound a lot to you? Then I wish you well and hope your fortunes change soon.

But as for the rest of you peeps out there in BCG land - just think what you get for a measly pound a week:-

This forum for one, which is a big drain on their resources with every page being a fresh database hit - I'm sure you wouldn't want that to be dropped! , - where would you go then to laugh, cry or moan?

Apart from that, there's the Graham McCann Comedy Chronicles, email notifications of the latest in the comedy world, massive Database (who needs the IMDb), Comedy Rewind, Podcasts, The British Comedy Quiz etc. etc. etc. etc. etc..............................

So don't delay! Join today! And you don't have to donate a fortune, as every little helps, whether monthly, anally (sic) or a one-off.

Official quote: The perks of being a Supporter are the ability to opt in to the BCG Daily Email service, subscribe to our monthly Supporters' newsletter, be included in our monthly prize draw, and access five bonus questions in our weekly quiz. BCG Supporters also have a Supporter icon added to their fan page and forum posts.

BCG Supporters can utilise all the perks for as long as they have an active, recurring donation plan. Alternatively, for those opting to make a one-off donation, we grant one month's access to these perks per £1 donated (up to a maximum of one year).
Once you have donated £10 or more (through any mix of recurring or one-off donations) you may claim an exclusive chrome lapel badge bearing our logo, deliverable to any address in the world.

*Other websites are available 😁

Thanks Herc! It's a huge struggle at times and we often don't receive any form of wage ourselves, so all support is truly, genuinely appreciated. Every vote of confidence is a boost to our poor, tired little souls. :-)

You're very welcome Aaron

For me, it's like part of the family, which I would miss if I didn't have it to come to each day - I'd love to do more, and I wish you did have more "Supporters"

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th October 2023, 9:22 AM

I see at the start of this thread, there was much enthusiasm and promises, which seemed to fade with time, which is a great pity................................So, wake up Britain!............

Just renewed my Supporter's Subscription - what is a £ a week? Nothing these days, so come on all you forum members, support Mark and Aaron! A £pound a lot to you? Then I wish you well and hope your fortunes change soon.

But as for the rest of you peeps out there in BCG land - just think what you get for a measly pound a week:-

This forum for one, which is a big drain on their resources with every page being a fresh database hit - I'm sure you wouldn't want that to be dropped! , - where would you go then to laugh, cry or moan?

Apart from that, there's the Graham McCann Comedy Chronicles, email notifications of the latest in the comedy world, massive Database (who needs the IMDb), Comedy Rewind, Podcasts, The British Comedy Quiz etc. etc. etc. etc. etc..............................

So don't delay! Join today! And you don't have to donate a fortune, as every little helps, whether monthly, anally (sic) or a one-off.

Official quote: The perks of being a Supporter are the ability to opt in to the BCG Daily Email service, subscribe to our monthly Supporters' newsletter, be included in our monthly prize draw, and access five bonus questions in our weekly quiz. BCG Supporters also have a Supporter icon added to their fan page and forum posts.

BCG Supporters can utilise all the perks for as long as they have an active, recurring donation plan. Alternatively, for those opting to make a one-off donation, we grant one month's access to these perks per £1 donated (up to a maximum of one year).
Once you have donated £10 or more (through any mix of recurring or one-off donations) you may claim an exclusive chrome lapel badge bearing our logo, deliverable to any address in the world.

*Other websites are available 😁

Your Web Site Needs You Now! 😎

What colour are the scarves and beanie hats?