NaNoWriMo Page 23

I know I'm going to regret this but I've just signed up again. That's what too many glasses of wine does. Did it two years running and had to give up as it was stressing me out too much. So now that makes 3 unfinished 'manuscripts' on Word. Ready now for the fourth.

Well I've just written 1,005 words in just over an hour. Not a bad start.

Quote: Chappers @ October 31 2009, 9:45 PM BST

Aren't you grubbi?

Oh yeah!
That rings a bell. I'll go and see if I can remember my password...

Any ideas?

HI All. NanoWriMo is a great way to bust the writer's block. Many writer's (or rather wannabe writer's) would rather blather than do it. The idea of this course is that you just write... yes. 1667 words A DAY. You aim for 50,000 words in a month.
Yes, most of them are crap. NO, it is not a full novel. But it frees up a lot of creative energy and you will be amazed at how your writing flows and how little of the precious/ pretentious stuff gets in - there simply isn't time to do anything other than tell a story.
I am teaching this course on Tuesday and each week for the five weeks.
No I am not soliciting for punters - the course is full.
It is not for everybody and there are of course casualties, but last year I did it - started with 24 people, ended up with 16 and we wrote 500,000 words between us.

The 90 pages pages of novel I wrote (and have spent all summer polishing) is now being considered by the commissioning editor at Orion.

Guys. Go for it as the yanks say.

Nice one, Marc. Good luck with that. ;)

I agree with Marc. It's amazing how you can just write when there's a target to aim at. I know you don't actually win anything but it is good for discipling yourself

Just decided to have a go, anybody know anything about Havana circa 1888-1900?

No, thought not.

I'm up to 1,700 words which isn't on schedule but not bad after 2 days.

I've always avoided this as it seems to me that you all you get out of it is an under-length, poorly thought out novel.

I don't need a competition to achieve this - I am more than capable of doing it on my own.

It's a bit like 'Changing Rooms' - just because they get the room finished in 24 hours doesn't stop it being shite.

Wouldn't it be better to do it properly in, say 3 or even 6 months?

Or am I being a grouch?

[nb I took a year to write mine - and it still isn't published, so what do I know!]

I still think it's a great way to do it. At the end of the month you have a largish body of work to work on and hone. You don't expect it to be perfect. But it's there for you to complete when ever you have the time.

I've no idea how many words I have, but I'm satisfied with my plot that I've plotted. The perils of actually writing with pen and paper, I suppose.

Plot? What plot? I just write!

This is just around the corner again.

OK - so I failed miserably last year and the year before but finished it in 2007.

Been coming up with some ideas so I intend to try again this year. What about you zooo?

Quote: Chappers @ November 2 2009, 5:45 AM BST

I agree with Marc. It's amazing how you can just write when there's a target to aim at. I know you don't actually win anything but it is good for discipling yourself

Thank you for that but which of my apostles are you picking?

I'm gonna do it.