Introduction and thoughts...

Hello everybody, I don't know if making a thread like this, is the done-thing where newbies are concerned, but oh well...here goes..

After irregularly lurking around this forum for a couple of months, I finally decide to sign up and post something.

I'm 26 years old and have secretly harbored dreams of being a sitcom writer for a couple of years now.

I have no real writing experience. In fact, for the past 4 years I have been studying Graphic Design. However during that time, I have done various pieces of "comedy writing" (short stories, observations, cartoons..etc) on websites and blogs, and they have always seemed to get a lot of attention and laughs.

I've been filling up a notebook with ideas and things for my sitcom. I have the basic premise figured out..characters..etc.

But right now I'm feeling quite disheartened. I keep reading on the forum about how hard and almost near impossible it is to break into the industry. I don't know, I mean, surely if your work is good enough, then it will get discovered, no? I'm confident in my ability (aren't we all!), but after reading some things in this forum, I'm thinking to myself: "Should I even bother?"

I don't know what to do really. Just go for it? Take some courses? Wait a few years til I'm older?

ehh...

sorry everyone, just realised there is an "introudtion" section of this forum. Please forgive me, I've been spending all my time in the WRITERS DISCUSSION section and not explored the rest of the forum.

:$

It shall be moved, by someone else, not me though :D

Anyway, welcome Keegs.

Don't give up if you enjoy it or maybe look at other areas in comedy that can offer the same satisfaction.

Wilkommen and Hello.

Yeah - welcome.

We probably all think the same at times.

But if you don't try you'll never know. Yours might just be the one.

Why not post some examples that we can steal - no sorry - comment on.

Hi Keegs welcome to the BSG Wave

Consider you're thread moved.

Adam

YoYo!
Do you look good in boxer shorts?
Thankyou bye.x

Quote: Keegs @ October 13, 2007, 11:11 PM

After irregularly lurking around this forum for a couple of months, I finally decide to sign up and post something.

Mwhahahahahaha, come, my pretty, we have you now! *cackle*

Quote: Keegs @ October 13, 2007, 11:11 PM

But right now I'm feeling quite disheartened. I keep reading on the forum about how hard and almost near impossible it is to break into the industry. I don't know, I mean, surely if your work is good enough, then it will get discovered, no? I'm confident in my ability (aren't we all!), but after reading some things in this forum, I'm thinking to myself: "Should I even bother?"

Their trouble is that they just plain hate everything that's successful with the public, and that therefore the commissioning editors and such are hoping to emulate. ;)

Welcome! :)

hey Keegs! *waves*

Write write write.

It is mutherf**ken goddamn hard making the leap from unknown writer to someone who has had their sitcom produced. I don't know of anyone who has done it but if anyone has, they are the extreme exception to the rule. So the consensus point of view is that you keep writing your sitcom but also write sketches and get them produced. And network network network like mad. Be nice to everyone--especially the production assistants and receptionists and secretaries and restaurant staff. No f**ken joke, man.

Get involved with team writing. Make friends here at BSG and the other comedy sites (if you can stand the other sites, I cannot).

You see: You are jumping into a dance that's already been in motion. There's alot of politics & promises & nepotism & deals already lined up and here comes you from out of the blue.

So you gotta come down out of the clouds and bump elbows and scrape knees with goofy human beings. Gotta attend parties and dinners and do lunches and all that sort of people-skill shit. This helps you work your way into the inner circle---or at least get your name & work noticed by them.

So write write write. If that sitcom of yours is bursting to come out of you like a good hot beer shit, then let her rip. As long as the material and dialogue doesn't contain any references to current events or names, then it has no expiration date. It can wait in a drawer if need be until you've worked your way into the business.

I am Skibbington von Skubber.

Pleased to make your acquaintance.

I spark the owl. Pirate

I agree with Skib - am I still your friend?

Welcome Keegs I like bubbles......

Skib's pretty well said it. Daft to give up what you like doing ... getting a result out of it is (just) a bonus! Oh, and welcome to the BSG.

And what is all this with Morrissey/The Smiths?

Maybe you sould meet Kent Pete.

Thanks every-buddy Wave Thankyou Skibb for the sound advice. I'm feeling a bit more confident right now.... I mean, some days I wake up and think "I can really do this", and other times I'm just moping around with a defeatist attitude, thinking I can't do anything. Story of my life really..

Just wondering, do you guys consider this kind of thing worthwhile for getting yourself noticed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/comedysoup/

There's a lot of these kinda things around. And of course Myspace. Is it a good idea? I mean, where "comedy" is concerned, do all roads lead to Rome? Or is it best to go down your specific chosen path, from the off, i.e. Stand-up, sketches, sitcoms..

p.s. Charley, I look pretty good in a pair of boxer shorts. From the waist down.

Dave Chapman, Morrissey's witty, funny and well written songs, are an inspiration! I recommend him to you all!

p.p.s. My favourite British Sitcoms are 'The Fall & Rise of Reginald Perrin' and 'The Office'. And from the US, 'Curb your Enthusiasm' makes me drool, it's that good.

Just thought I'd share that with you. Dunno why..

Later alligator Wave