It's Official, Brexit is not funny.

Here's an article quoting a BCG Spokesperson, pointing out how Brexit jokes are making some audience members angry. The BCG bit is near the end. Nice bit of PR.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-briefing-comedians-nigel-farage_uk_58e65a17e4b0fe4ce0890c04

Aaron! Aaron! Aaron! Aaron! Woohoooooo!!!!

Teresa May drops a plate. Brex it.

Oof.

Nice one, Aaron!

To me Brexit and Brexit jokes aren't so much funny as more of just a thing that occasionally distracts me ever so slightly from the political catastrophe my country has brought upon itself. Like, hey I live in a country that's gone completely mad, but at least I'm not the only one? Or something. Mostly just tragic...but I suppose you almost have to laugh, or you'll cry.

I'm not much for political humor, just in general.

Getting just as sick of Trump jokes. I'm guessing I'm not the only one on that.

Interesting to see Huffington Post bring it up!

For anyone is interested, the story originates as a Radio 4 report: https://audioboom.com/posts/5781227-side-splitters

The Telegraph followed it up with an almost verbatim article, plus my added thought: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/04/comedians-tell-anti-brexit-jokes-damaging-careersas-audiences/

And there have since been responses such as these: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comedy/what-to-see/brexit-poisoned-chalice-comedians-leaver-should-know/

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/brexitphobic-comedians-are-the-real-populists/19658

If anyone cares: I worry it is deeply unhealthy for comedy (as a whole) that comedians are (largely) so divorced from the reality in the country. Could say the same of the General Election result, too.

I'm very confused by this. Comedians are getting into trouble and having audiences turn on them for making anti-brexit jokes? (That in and of itself is bizarre to me. Surely comedians get much less flack for making jokes about much more controversial and offensive subject matter).

So is what you're saying (your last comment), that comedians are shying away from brexit jokes, and politically engaged content out of fear or whatever it is, and that this is a bad thing and that comedians should be less divorced from reality, and not be afraid to talk about these things?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the comedy world (or parts of it) are oversaturated with political commentary and Trump/Brexit jokes. I don't see any sort of shortage there. I don't know how I feel about the divorced from reality aspect. I don't think comedians have a duty to have any sort of moral or political agenda. If their entertainment style doesn't involve being "connected with reality", and they're good at it, and are funny, I say more power to them. I don't really like the idea that comedy should be a platform for political discourse. If I want that, I read the news etc. For the most part, when I sit down to enjoy comedy, I'm happy to have it as an escape from reality. I might be totally misinterpreting what you're saying though. I haven't had a chance to read through all of the links you posted.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Exactly half the country hates Brexit and half is for it. So I don't really see how it can be that much of a disaster for comics?

Although I'm sure different parts of the country are for and against. Maybe they should have different jokes for different towns on tour.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 7th April 2017, 3:26 PM

I'm very confused by this. Comedians are getting into trouble and having audiences turn on them for making anti-brexit jokes? (That in and of itself is bizarre to me. Surely comedians get much less flack for making jokes about much more controversial and offensive subject matter).

More controversial, maybe; but there is little that's more divisive than Brexit. As zooo says, the country is (almost) split equally. The majority of those who voted Leave are passionate about it; a similar large constituent of those who voted Remain are passionate about it.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 7th April 2017, 3:26 PM

So is what you're saying (your last comment), that comedians are shying away from brexit jokes, and politically engaged content out of fear or whatever it is, and that this is a bad thing and that comedians should be less divorced from reality, and not be afraid to talk about these things?

No, almost the opposite. Comedians are resolutely anti-Brexit, when the majority of the country (moreso outside urban centres like London, where the industry is based) is quite squarely pro-Brexit.

That's not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but much material concerning Brexit is very dismissive, insulting even, of those pro-Leave views. The basic theme is that anyone who voted Leave is a racist/bigot/idiot; that's the problem. That's a harsh - and alienating - bottom line to have when the majority of the public nation-wide, and a much greater majority outside of cities, are of said opinion.

So what? A couple of snowflakes walked out? They should suck it up!

Quote: Aaron @ 7th April 2017, 3:51 PM

More controversial, maybe; but there is little that's more divisive than Brexit. As zooo says, the country is (almost) split equally. The majority of those who voted Leave are passionate about it; a similar large constituent of those who voted Remain are passionate about it.

No, almost the opposite. Comedians are resolutely anti-Brexit, when the majority of the country (moreso outside urban centres like London, where the industry is based) is quite squarely pro-Brexit.

That's not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but much material concerning Brexit is very dismissive, insulting even, of those pro-Leave views. The basic theme is that anyone who voted Leave is a racist/bigot/idiot; that's the problem. That's a harsh - and alienating - bottom line to have when the majority of the public nation-wide, and a much greater majority outside of cities, are of said opinion.

Right, I assumed most (almost all?) comedians were/are against Brexit. But is it that comedians are now thinking about easing off the brexit jokes to avoid getting into trouble with audiences with a lot of pro-leavers in attendance?

Seems like the simplest solution (likely too simple to be plausible) is to save the brexit jokes for the more metropolotian gigs and ease off when in more rural (I don't know if that's the right word) areas.

But I think your main point, which I hadn't really considered, is that the jokes themselves are adding to the divisiveness by painting the pro-leavers as bigots/racists/xenophobes/idiots/etc. and taking a situation that is already so divided and making it appear more black and white than it need be. There's a whole lot of grey getting left out of the picture.

Same thing carries over to the US and the Trump nonsense. Liberal media and probably comedians (I don't follow too many US comedians) are doing the same thing. Laughing at the bigoted/ignorant/xenophobix/homophobic/racist etc Trump supporters and deepening the division and increasing the hatred of "the other side". I've probably fallen into the trap myself of thinking half of my country is completely insane. But of course they're not. I may not agree with them about how the country should be run. But surely there are countless Trump supporters who are not monsters, or morally bankrupt, or homophobic, or xenophobic or uneducated etc. But I don't hear much about them. At least not in the bubble I'm in (granted my main source of news on US politics comes from UK comedians via twitter...)

I hope I'm understanding your main points, Aaron. If I'm still way-off, do enlighten me.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 7th April 2017, 8:55 PM

Right, I assumed most (almost all?) comedians were/are against Brexit. But is it that comedians are now thinking about easing off the brexit jokes to avoid getting into trouble with audiences with a lot of pro-leavers in attendance?

Yes to the first part. The article(s) were simply reporting the comedians' experiences doing anti-Brexit material around the UK, notably Marcus Brigstocke's talk of "his" people walking out of his shows and his doesn't expect to see them ever return.

But I think your main point, which I hadn't really considered, is that the jokes themselves are adding to the divisiveness by painting the pro-leavers as bigots/racists/xenophobes/idiots/etc.

Yes; and that in playing such a part in that division is not healthy for comedy as a whole.

I've probably fallen into the trap myself of thinking half of my country is completely insane.

Take the British attitude: all of your country is completely insane. ;)

Quite right. I know I am, for one.

Thanks for the clarification.

Quote: zooo @ 7th April 2017, 3:29 PM

Exactly half the country hates Brexit and half is for it. So I don't really see how it can be that much of a disaster for comics?

I think you'll find that less than half of the country hates Brexit (and I still hate that f**king word!)

Well more people (that actually voted) voted FOR it, obviously. But some of even them seem to have gone off the idea now.
So who knows what the actual numbers are.

I've found watching & writing comedy harder
Thee's only one viewpoint seemingly allowed and the jokes get retread to death.
Even if it may be the right point of view, its not the way comedy should be.
I really want to take the piss out of it, but don't want to be unfriended by everyone on Facebook , or lose one of my 10 twitter followers