Hancock's Half Hour locations

THE COLD

If you have ever wondered where the location shots were made when Sid takes Tony for a jog in "The Cold", I think I have finally cracked it with a clue I picked up on another forum, this being the distinctive thatched (!?) building you can see on both screen grabs at the traffic lights on the South Circular Road. The scenes appear to have been made around Barnes railway station in the South London area, which as you will see from the following has, of course, changed dramtically since the early 1960s, and thank you Google Street view saving me having to go to the locations!! You will see the large road sign has been moved (a newer one of course) that is obscuring the brow of the very long hump back bridge that has to accommodate Barnes railway station, to the other side of Station Road, which is on the right and which has been widened slightly and tidied up. Also there is a heck of a lot more greenery and trees now nearly 60 years older and a lot of this is making the slope a lot less obvious.

Here they are jogging North along Rocks Lane away from Barnes railway station down the raised section that accommodates the station with the not so wide then Station Road on the right, and here is the same scene today:-

Notice the footpath no longer goes down to Station Road ( it now finishes halfway down the slope at a bus stop)

Now they are running in the opposite direction (south) down the same Rocks Lane, again away from Barnes railway station and arrive at the traffic lights on South Circular Road before they turn left into the B306 Queen's Ride, which runs diagonally away from the South Circular.

Here we now see Sid turning left into Queen's Ride.................................

..................followed by Tony............................

............and here's that junction today. The main flow of traffic (vans) you can see is crossing the South Circular Road from Rocks Lane and going south away from London, with the traffic waiting at the lights travelling around the SCR.

.................along which incidentally at about 300/400 metres further down is the shrine to Marc Bolan at the spot where he was killed when the car he was in crashed into a tree.

Those are very good.

Thanks very much.

Fascinating.Looks like a pub has gone,sadly.

Well I am pleased two people liked it (!) and yes, cannot find the forum that gave me the clue now, but they did mention the name of that pub that had been demolished.

The forum may have been: http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/tv-locations/83578-hancocks-half-hour.html

These photos were originally reproduced in the February 2002 edition of "The Missing Page", the - then - quarterly newsletter of the Tony Hancock Appreciation Society. You may find the following links to that society interesting:

http://www.tonyhancock.org.uk/

http://www.tonyhancockarchives.org.uk/index.htm

Yes, that was the forum, but all the screen grabs are me own work mush. :D And yes, I did know about the THAS as I was a founder member back in the mid 70s, but then it was "taken over" and became rather cliquey so I didn't bother with it anymore.

Herc is a veritable Sherlock Holmes!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th December 2016, 11:28 AM

became rather cliquey so I didn't bother with it anymore.

Yes, comedy forums tend to do that I find...:)

Quote: beaky @ 18th December 2016, 2:38 PM

Herc is a veritable Sherlock Holmes!

Ta :D

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th December 2016, 3:16 PM

Yes, comedy forums tend to do that I find...:)

Granted but this wasn't a forum. In those early days it was all done by post or telephone (you probably won't remember those ones with a dial on) and there were only about 5 of us in this "fan club" before it was called THAS, but can't remember what the title was - got all the paperwork somewhere filed away - I remember I was the tape librarian.

Very interesting post, Herc. Anyone know any more? :-)

Thank you Aaron. :)

Some of you may remember this post I did nearly four years ago - well I happened to glance at it when looking for summat else, and noticed that effin' Tinypic (of course! Angry) had "deleted" the files when they decided that everyone should start paying for the privilege. So as I can't edit a post as old as that, I have reposted the page, with the same photos courtesy of imgur
(until THEY start charging)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th December 2016, 11:46 AM

THE COLD

If you have ever wondered where the location shots were made when Sid takes Tony for a jog in "The Cold"..............................

If you have ever wondered where the location shots were made when Sid takes Tony for a jog in "The Cold", I think I have finally cracked it with a clue I picked up on another forum, this being the distinctive thatched (!?) building you can see on both screen grabs at the traffic lights on the South Circular Road. The scenes appear to have been made around Barnes railway station in the South London area, which as you will see from the following has, of course, changed dramtically since the early 1960s, and thank you Google Street view saving me having to go to the locations!!

You will see the large road sign has been moved (a newer one of course) that is obscuring the brow of the very long hump back bridge that has to accommodate Barnes railway station, to the other side of Station Road, which is on the right and which has been widened slightly and tidied up. Also there is a heck of a lot more greenery and trees now nearly 60 years older and a lot of this is making the slope a lot less obvious.

Here they are jogging North along Rocks Lane away from Barnes railway station down the raised section that accommodates the station with the not so wide then Station Road on the right, and here is the same scene today:-

Notice the footpath no longer goes down to Station Road ( it now finishes halfway down the slope at a bus stop)

Now they are running in the opposite direction (south) down the same Rocks Lane, again away from Barnes railway station and arrive at the traffic lights on South Circular Road before they turn left into the B306 Queen's Ride, which runs diagonally away from the South Circular.

Here we now see Sid turning left into Queen's Ride.................................

..................followed by Tony............................

............and here's that junction today. The main flow of traffic (vans) you can see is crossing the South Circular Road from Rocks Lane and going south away from London, with the traffic waiting at the lights travelling around the SCR.

.................along which incidentally at about 300/400 metres further down is the shrine to Marc Bolan at the spot where he was killed when the car he was in crashed into a tree.

On the telly.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th December 2016, 11:28 AM

Yes, that was the forum, but all the screen grabs are me own work mush. :D And yes, I did know about the THAS as I was a founder member back in the mid 70s, but then it was "taken over" and became rather cliquey so I didn't bother with it anymore.

And brilliant they are too. They all look the same to me!

I don't remember that, I thought Hancock was always stuck in a studio somewhere.