Lost faith in new British Comedy? Page 4

Quote: zooo @ October 17, 2007, 1:09 AM

Karl Pilkington's show is on Monday!!!

That's restored my faith all by itself.

On what?

I remember him initially from the XFM shows with Ricky Gervais. Is he really the twat he's made out to be or a clever RG creation?

Also of course the thing is we all feel bitter because we think we can do better.

Quote: Jordan @ October 17, 2007, 1:02 AM

I wasn't saying you should be settling for low quality, but merely pointing out that your grass is greener, no matter how unhappy you are with it. Cool

Yeah but you could say that about most things in life. Its like going to a restaurant, getting a crap meal and the waiter going 'Yeah, but a lot of the world is suffering from famine so you should be grateful of any food. That's £120 please.'

You just can't live like that - the ideology not the crap food (you can probably live with that). Anyway, my point is we have high standards here that we set ourselves.

Quote: Jordan @ October 17, 2007, 1:02 AM

I wasn't saying you should be settling for low quality, but merely pointing out that your grass is greener, no matter how unhappy you are with it. Cool

If I was in your position I'd be complaining too no doubt. I don't currently know of any upcoming British comedies I'd be interested in, unless you count the 5th series of Peep Show, but that's not a new programme.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ October 17, 2007, 9:49 AM

Yeah but you could say that about most things in life. Its like going to a restaurant, getting a crap meal and the waiter going 'Yeah, but a lot of the world is suffering from famine so you should be grateful of any food. That's £120 please.'

You just can't live like that - the ideology not the crap food (you can probably live with that). Anyway, my point is we have high standards here that we set ourselves.

I think we're saying the same thing here.

Quote: David Chapman @ October 17, 2007, 7:18 AM

On what?

I remember him initially from the XFM shows with Ricky Gervais. Is he really the twat he's made out to be or a clever RG creation?

Also of course the thing is we all feel bitter because we think we can do better.

He's not a creation, he's completely genuine.

He's doing a pilot of a show where he meets the world's greatest thinkers and talks to them about stuff. (11.05pm Channel 4.) Should be hilarious. I think he's meeting Germaine Greer and Will Self in the pilot.

Quote: Jordan @ October 17, 2007, 12:06 PM

I think we're saying the same thing here.

Fair enough, but that wasn't always the case. :P

"As I've not expressed my opinion yet, you can't possibly know if you're right or not" - Margaret Thatcher

Quote: ContainsNuts @ October 17, 2007, 1:14 PM

Fair enough, but that wasn't always the case. :P

True True. ;)

Quote: zooo @ October 17, 2007, 1:09 AM

Karl Pilkington's show is on Monday!!! That's restored my faith all by itself.

Karl's show is the first of eight new Comedy Lab pilots going out next week (one every day and two on Sunday).

We've got a rundown of them in our Comedy Lab Guide

You always get about two shows worth watching every year, which isn't up to par with 70's sitcoms, but still ok.

I might have got the wrong end of Gervais's rather shiny gold stick but is the one big joke about Karl Pilkington that he's.....stupid?

He's so stupid, he goes full circle and the things he says become profound.

"Do you control your brain or does the brain control you?"

He sees the world in a different way.
He's just not like anyone I've ever met or heard talk.

And he's very funny. Occasionally on purpose, but not often.

Quote: zooo @ October 17, 2007, 12:48 PM

... he meets the world's greatest thinkers ... I think he's meeting Germaine Greer ...

o_0

Quote: Frankie Rage @ October 17, 2007, 1:23 PM

"As I've not expressed my opinion yet, you can't possibly know if you're right or not" - Margaret Thatcher

Laughing out loud

(God bless 'er.)

Quote: Leevil @ October 18, 2007, 4:56 PM

He's so stupid, he goes full circle and the things he says become profound.

"Do you control your brain or does the brain control you?"

Now this sounds like something worth watching.

Quote: Aaron @ October 18, 2007, 8:54 PM

o_0

Laughing out loud

(God bless 'er.)

And all who sail in her. Let's call her Titanic Thatcher.

In some respects, yes. Gone, but never forgotten.