Inside No. 9 - Series 3 Page 6

That's kind of how I felt after having watched it the first time as well. Where was the twist, the drama, the darkness? But I guess the twist was the lightness of it. It was full of red herrings as usual, like the pill roulette which could have made things very intense, but they were just tic tacs, and the list of names could have turned them all against one another, but instead it kind of brought them together. Everything that would have normally gone horribly wrong and turned things ugly just fizzled out. It was really just a love story. I think that's what you have to look at it as. It was kind of nice, it had the man who couldn't choose who to love between two ladies and lost them both, the man whose lover divorced him, and then the unlikely deaf girl who fancied the Michael Jackson but got rejected, and of all of them she's ends up being the only one who knows what's going on and gets what she wants in the end and the others sort of get what they had coming to them. Everyone gets what they had coming to them, really. Not a typical no 9 in any way, and like I said, I prefer the dark stuff, but there were still some nice things in this episode with the way the lyrics formed much of the plot, and the insight provided by deafness in such a loud setting. Not an episode I can see myself watching over and over because I think the music would drive me mad, but I can't say I'm particularly disappointed.

I really enjoyed it. Found it quite uplifting. I'm sure all the other episodes will be reassuringly full of death, it's a nice reminder that they can do all sorts of different genres.
We all thought they would each come to some horrible end from all the different pills (I was quite looking forward to it), but instead they went the other way. But they all still got what they deserved. Which was very satisfying.

Oh, and Steve was a surprisingly good singer!

Has anyone picked up on the silver hares?

I NEVER remember to look for them. Was there one this week too?

Quote: Chappers @ 8th March 2017, 2:57 PM

Has anyone picked up on the silver hares?

Chappers, I've seen your photo - you have a head full of them.

Edit: YES! Got a corny pun back on Chappers (punches air in victory)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th March 2017, 3:02 PM

Very good Herc!

Apparently there is a silver Hare in each episode somewhere.

I've found the hare in every episode except empty orchestra. Forgot to look. It's hard to remember to look when the story is so engrossing. But I made it a mission to find them all and got the hang of it pretty quick. Some were pretty tricky though. I'm gonna have to find it in Empty Orchestra when I'm home from work.

A different episode, I'd long guessed the boss was leaving and that Fran was getting promoted. Very clever choices of music lyrically I thought. They managed to capture the essence of most workplace types very well.

Quote: Chappers @ 8th March 2017, 5:27 PM

Very good Herc!

Apparently there is a silver Hare in each episode somewhere.

They had one on the shelf when they appeared on Sunday Brunch last week (or perhaps week before) so it seems it's not only Inside No 9 they do it.

Found it in Empty Orchestra! Ah ha! They hid it well in that one. I thought maybe it was on the background of the deaf girl's phone screen, but it was blurry so I wasn't sure. But I found it for sure somewhere else. That one, La Couchette and The Trial of Elizabeth Gadge have been the hardest for me to find it in.

I wish someone would upload their recent Sunday Brunch appearance to youtube.

I thought the lyric choices were good as well. The last song really hit me hard. It's been stuck in my head all day.

Only slightly annoying thing in that episode to me was Steve's accent. But it fit the character.

Does anybody know what the deaf girl (why can't I remember anyone's names?) signed to the amy winehouse girl at the end when she was being a bitch to her? Amy winehouse girl asked "what was that?" and deaf girl responded "why don't you ask Rick?" (since Rick known sign language), but I couldn't tell what she was signing. She made kind of a grimace, covered her mouth with her hand and then pointed her thumb behind her. Best guess "piss off", or something to that effect, but I'd be curious to find out for sure.

Also, here's a neat article about Emily Howlett learning how to sing as a deaf person. Really interesting. That must have been such a challenge. I can't really even fathom. http://limpingchicken.com/2017/03/08/emily-howlett-learning-to-sing-for-my-performance-in-last-nights-episode-of-the-bbcs-inside-no-9/

Also, I just now figured out that 'empty orchestra' is the direct translation from Japenese of 'Karaoke'. How did I not know that?

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 9th March 2017, 4:00 AM

Also, I just now figured out that 'empty orchestra' is the direct translation from Japenese of 'Karaoke'. How did I not know that?

Er (how can I do this without sounding patronising :( ) yes.

In the meantime, it's amazing how time flies - the Steve and Reece Sunday Brunch was three weekends ago, and here's a long shot, the Channel 4 catch up link is here:-

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sunday-brunch/on-demand/66112-001

Now I know Gordon Bennett cannot get catch up/on demand directly in Switzerland, but he did find a way of viewing the BBC one somehow, but with any luck you may not have that problem Davida. :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th March 2017, 3:02 PM

But, from a distance, they look like Rabbits!

Quote: zooo @ 8th March 2017, 2:50 PM

Oh, and Steve was a surprisingly good singer!

'Do you think she likes Whitesnake?' (or words to that effect) for some reason was one of my favourite lines. Funny but as usual, not funny ha ha and I guess the twist was, there was no twist. I may rewatch, but probably only the once.

The girl playing the deaf girl acted the socks off everyone else and being dressed as Boy George was a plus, that's who I would have gone as I think!

It was fun seeing Boy George and Michael Jackson kiss.